I Don't Want Kitten Anymore

Slayyrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made a thread about this a few weeks ago but I just feel like things have gotten worse with new kitten. She's been here for exactly a month and I got her because I felt like my family would be happier with a new critter running around the house but I didn't exactly think things through because it was sort of a last minute decision. She's actually made things 10x worse. She eats everything and anything, she makes a huge mess whether shes eating or using the litter box, oh and she got my resident cat really sick. My mom is really upset because of this, I tell her that we should find the kitten a new home but she says no because they're already attached with the kitten and that shes part of the family. I asked her what can we do about it then and she said nothing to suck it up. But i dont wanna suck it up because its making me sad her being here. I know she would be better off with a new family but again, they refuse to want to give her away even though its the best decision for the kitten and us. I just don't know what to do. I guess I just wanted to vent on here and get some advice from you guys on what to do

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
How is your resident cat now?
I'm sorry this is upsetting you.
The kitten does use the litter box? She doesn't go poo or pee elsewhere, outside of the box?
Kittens eat a lot, they need to in order to fuel all the growth of everything in their bodies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you feel the new kitten has complicated your life. Just out of curiosity, how old is she and how did she make the resident cat sick? Did your mom or a family member take the kitten to a vet for an exam after you brought her home?

Kittens can be quite a handful but being a sloppy eater or making a mess in the litter box is not unusual. Here are two Articles that may be helpful:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Whatever you decide to do, I wish the kitten and you the best of luck. :hangin:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten? Age makes a big difference! Here is why:

First they are cute gremlins for a month. They drink milk, stumble about and their eyes open. Along with their ears opening.

Second and third month? Insane adorable ninja kitten terrors!!!!! They climb legs and curtains. They may or may not have mastered the litter box by 2 months. If it can be knocked down, squeezed under/behind or chewed on, it will be!!!! They fearless despite putting themselves in danger. Unless they are being closely supervised your best bet is to lock them in a kitten proof room! Also kittens need to be fed kitten food often (free feed kitten dry food or plan on 6 meals a day.... or more. If they act hungry, feed them again.) At this age lock them up when you want to cook or eat because they will walk right onto your plate! It is impossible to play to much. Remember toys not hands and to start teaching them not to bite.

4-6 months The almost fully grown now slightly calmer kitten. Invest in chew toys by 4 months! What they want at this age beyond anything is outside. So be sure watch the door. They are less clingy and more confident. They look almost fully grown. Don't be fooled, they are still growing for the first 12-18 months (2 years for breeds like Maine coon.) so they still need kitten food. Some cats turn into beavers as they teeth. Many kittens still want to play but may be to hyper to really cuddle. You can start training them to let you sleep and to leave you alone while you cook or in my case to stay off the counters. Be consistent at all costs. You should be seeing your kitten's personality standing out.

6-8ish months the teen phase: Your kitten is probably at their adult height but may fill out more. They are still hyper goofballs but they should more practiced in their stunts. As they get older they get more cuddly and they now hopefully know the basic rules of the house by 8 months or so.

If you get to 8 months or so congratulations!!!!! You have survived the kitten terrors!!!! A bird watching window is a great way to tire them out mentally. Now might be the time to start clicker training your teen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Slayyrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys thank you for responding. The kitten just turned 4 months yesterday. We got her from the humane society, she had been there since she was 2 weeks old they said she has her shots and was healthy but she gave my resident cat a bad respiratory infection. The kitten doesn't have the respiratory infection anymore because we took her to the humane society where we got her and they gave her free medicine. As for my resident cat, shes going to the vet this Tuesday to get some antibiotics.

Also, the kitten loves getting under the dishwasher where there use to be cockroach poison. And eats everything she comes across to. I got my resident cat when she was 8 weeks old and she was never like this.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep remember that "insane adorable ninja kitten terrors" phase? You are in it.
:hangin:

Honestly I hate saying this but it is her owners fault. She needs to be in a kitten proof room, with the door closed unless she is being closely supervised. At that age I like to keep them within 3-6 feet when they are out and about. I would also block off access to under the dishwasher using cut up cereal boxes and duct tape if need be. That way she stays out of dishwasher and out of poison that could kill her. It might be best to only let her be in the living room and the designated kitten room until she is 2 months older. You can't blame a toddler for getting into rat poison or breaking a tv. You blame the parents for letting the toddler be unsupervised. Also you resident cat will greatly appreciate the annoying terror only being out and about a few hours a day.

The good news? In 3 months she can stroll around like any normal hyper cat. Hang in there. Take lots of pictures. She may frustrate you for a couple of months but you will laugh at her antics years later. :cheerleader: I raised two 10 day old orphaned kittens. It was stressful and nerve wracking. I made a ton of mistakes but somehow blundered my way through. I wish I had taken more pictures. 20 years later even after they are gone, I miss my baby girls sometimes. If you are really lucky your resident cat will adopt her and mommy her. One of my resident cats adopted the bottle babies, let one baby nurse off him and he taught them how to get along with the other cats and how to hunt.

:vibes::grouphug2:

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be honest and maybe a little harsh. I think it was unfair to ask a kitten to help solve human issues let alone existing family problems. I don't say that as an attack, just from reading your post that's what I took away. Please don't scapegoat a little animal for that, I beg you.
As for the kittens behaviour, at 4 month that can be the teen phase. It can be a difficult phase. They have all the kitten energy and teenage bio chemistry corsing through them, so it can be tough.
There are lots of great article and info on this site to guide you through. Sit down and scroll thru when you get a chance. My cat was a feral kitten. It was hard. Work on forgiving as much as you can and hyper praise or treat the good behaviour, it'll help.

Good luck