I Don't Know What To Do With A Friendly Stray Cat

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
do you have any photos of these babies?! Good luck trapping!! Have you come around at night to see if there's more kittens? cats that are feral tend to roam more at night-around 5 to 8 pm is good. 9pm is better-every now and then I see a cat or two cruise by my yard around 9 and 10 at night...or set up a deer cam to see if there's another kitten. and of course trap.

when dealing with cats-remember staring straight at them is confrontational. glance at them and glance away-don't look directly at them. Also slow eye blinks too. These are body language Qs we use with ferals. Also crouching down to talk helps...we look like a giant to them. And stand sideways too. Facing your hips directly at them is dominating=sideways standing is open for friendship...try these to see if kitten reacts better to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spikey1549

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, today I put out the trap and put some raw meat at the end. The kitten came fell for the bait and got trapped. Yay! I tried to get the mother cat to go inside a carrier but would never go in. I tried picking her up but she would resist and hop out. I only had one trap which was being used by the kitten. The mother cat was uninterested in any food that was inside the carrier. She only ate outside the trap. How should I get the mother to go inside.

I brought the kitten home, the kitten is currently inside a large dog kennel, inside my living room. I want the kitten to get used to me. The kitten is still pretty scared of me though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you wear gloves and give momma cat a little push into the carrier and shut the door? or use a blanket? Just don't get hurt. That's great that you caught the kitten! Food is a good way to bond with him. I tamed my feral kitten by petting him with a long handled duster.

Spikey1549

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think one of the reasons the mother didn't want to go inside the carrier is because it was on "high alert" after it saw it's kitten get trapped. Hopefully it will be a bit more calmer tomorrow

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I set the cat carrier on end with the door open at the top and drop my feral cat down into it when I weigh her on Sundays. They can't put up as much resistance if their back legs are dropped down into the carrier first. Good idea to wear gloves since she doesn't know you well. Their legs still go flailing all over the place even when using the drop-in technique.

Otherwise, you can put food in the back of the carrier and tie a rope to the carrier door. She may be less resistant to eating in the carrier if you are standing 10-20 feet away. If you can get her to walk in, you can pull the door closed with the rope.

I'd keep trying for a few days with the carrier and/or trap. Worst case, you may end up needing a net. @lavishsqualor had good luck with a trapping net as a last resort for a feral who needed medical a while back.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of the reasons the mother didn't want to go inside the carrier is because it was on "high alert" after it saw it's kitten get trapped. Hopefully it will be a bit more calmer tomorrow
Ah yes, it was less than a week ago that she walked in and ate in the carrier. She probably was wondering what happened to the kitten. In a day or two she'll probably walk in to the carrier again for you. Hunger is a powerful motivator.

Spikey1549

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I set the cat carrier on end with the door open at the top and drop my feral cat down into it when I weigh her on Sundays. They can't put up as much resistance if their back legs are dropped down into the carrier first. Good idea to wear gloves since she doesn't know you well. Their legs still go flailing all over the place even when using the drop-in technique.
How are you able to grab the cat. When ever I touch her stomach she walks away.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you able to grab the cat. When ever I touch her stomach she walks away.
This is a feral cat I picked up from TNR in June, so I've been working with her several months. I was able to pick her up, very briefly, weeks before I tried getting her in a carrier to check her weight.

I thought you mentioned that you did manage to pick up your girl, but that she squirmed away. Were you not able to lift her at all?

Misfit will let me carry her a couple feet. I put kibble on the ground a couple inches next to the carrier and while she's distracted eating, I lift her up and then down into the carrier as quickly as possible. She doesn't get much time to react.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...probably safer for you to try to get your girl to walk into the carrier on her own. ;)

Spikey1549

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought you mentioned that you did manage to pick up your girl, but that she squirmed away. Were you not able to lift her at all?
Ya, I lifted her up so that her feet were a couple inches off the ground until she really started to panic. I'll try lifting her up while distracting her with food. This time I'll be more forceful.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think finesse over force is better with ferals, but it sounds like your girl is pretty friendly. My Misfit would have fought hard and probably injured me badly if I tried to use force with her early on. She was very aggressive in the beginning.

So be careful please. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Scruff her at the back of her neck and hold her in a tight scruff to get her in the carrier.