I don't know what to do, or what to think.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm tired. I feel like every other week I have some kind of life or death fear with one of my animals and I often worry I annoy you guys when I post. I'm sorry. Tonights just raw for me.

About a week or so ago, Isabel (my senior cat) puked quite a bit. She was eating fine, so I wrote it off as just normal cat puke and since it didn't seem to happen again, I didn't think much of it.The other day, she also hacked a bit. She seemed to be okay though and hasn't hacked again since. I tried to give her some laxatone and she turned her nose up at that. That was a few days ago though.Through all that she seemed to be eating just fine, I assume drinking too but it's hard to tell because she's out in the house a lot and we have a huge water dish that all the animals like to drink out of and thus ignore their individual dishes.

This morning I woke up and there was some liquid spit up. Lil bubbly, but otherwise just looked like normal spit up. I put her food down, noticed she'd had some diarrhea in the litter box (I know it was her because Sammy opted to stay out in the house while she slept in the utility room.) I left her alone then in the utility room because she won't eat if people are in there with her. Even put some of the tiki cat on it for her, which usually she loves. Went back in to check on her and nothing had been touched. Okay, I thought maybe it's just the storm and she's afraid. She booked it out of the utility room and hopped up on the chair she likes to sit on behind my desk so I figured she was probably just afraid and I'd try to feed her later.

So I pick her up to feed her, notice she has wet poop all smeared on her butt. I clean her off, she's not happy but at least seems like she's purring in the sink. After being dried off, I take her inside again and put some food down for her. She still won't eat, so at this point I say whatever and let her come back into the house to sit with me like she likes to do. A few minutes later she starts getting a bit restless so I pick her up. I checked her mouth for sores and stuff because I'm paranoid, didn't or smell anything. Once I let her go, she hauls off and horks up bile, but it is VIVID yellow. I mean, it's about as yellow as the text in "thecatsite" text at the top of the webpage. I'm confused of course, because she has no teeth. It's not like she could have eaten an orange peel or anything, I haven't given her any turmeric in her food because she hates it, like there's no dye in her foods at all so I'm beyond unsure where this color came from. Granted she threw up on a gold mat, so maybe the gold color enhanced the yellow look. I'm not sure.

She's mad at me at this point for checking in her mouth though, so she jumps down onto her chair again. I think she's going to lay down, then I hear her jump down again and see her walk into the living room. I follow and notice her climb onto the dog bed and since she's restless and hates using the litter box in the living room, in my mind I'm like "oh crap" sure enough, she's trying to go on the bed. I pick her up and she leaks a little (diarrhea) on the floor but I put her down in the utility room because she was MAD I had picked her up. She climbed on her own into the litter box and had a small amount of diarrhea, though this time I could see some mucus in it.

My mother wants to wait a day before we rush her to the vet. It's been about 24 hours already, so I don't know. Should I push to rush her to the vet tomorrow or wait and see how things pan out tomorrow then take her saturday if she's not better?

She's a senior cat too. We're unsure her actual age. She's either 14, 15 or 16. Most likely 15.

She does have a fatty tumor lump on her side, though I seriously doubt that would cause this.

What do you guys think? Emergent, rush now? Or wait?

It's so stressful because I know taking her to the vet will be an ordeal for her right now and I'm so afraid of causing her unneeded stress, I just don't know if I should wait another day.

I just put fresh water down IN the utility room for her, so she has access to fresh/clean water and her litter box. I just hate not being in there with her 24/7. I'm so tired, I know I'll need to sleep soon but I'm so afraid of her dying over night and being alone.

I've had her half my life. She's been with me through every bad thing that has ever happened to me. I know at some point saying goodbye is always a thing that happens, I just don't want to fail her by not being there with her when it happens, so I'm struggling to stay awake to watch her

As of right now, she's huddled up like this. It's a spot she's usually in, so it's not out of character for her.
1594980425998.png

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her to the vet today. There is an issue and can only get worse by not getting calories in which will cause a serious liver issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet today. There is an issue and can only get worse by not getting calories in which will cause a serious liver issue.
Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to talk to my mom about taking her. Right now I can't drive, so it's a matter of convincing her that it's emergent.

I heard her hacking up more bile. Can confirm it is YELLOW YELLOW now that she spit it up on the brown floor. She had more diarrhea, but again WAS able to get into the litter box to go. She's back in her hiding spot now, sitting up right.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I feel so stressed out that I could vomit.

My mother took a zzquil and is unable to drive. She hasn't even fallen asleep yet. I'm afraid by the time she wakes up, the vet won't be open anymore. She's been known to sleep ALL day.

I can't tell if Isabel is getting better or worse. I go in there and she won't look at me when I call her. I tap the wall and she looks up, so I don't know if she's ignoring me or if she can't hear. I worried maybe she couldn't see, but she seems to react when I move my hand in front of her face.

When I went in there just a bit ago, she meowed at me. She wasn't very vocal before, she didn't SOUND like she was in pain but I'm not sure.

I have no idea what to do. I feel trapped and unable to get her help at the moment

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're in this position with your girl. It's so scary when they're not well :hugs:

First off, I absolutely agree with denice denice that Isabella needs a vet today. Do you have any friends or neighbours that could take you? Or would a taxi be an option? (I've used a taxi to get to the vet in the past, but I absolutely appreciate that that isn't always an option).

About the bile - it IS yellow, sometimes almost fluorescent yellow. That's normal - it just means there isn't much in the stomach to bring up. So, whilst bringing up bile isn't good, the colour in itself isn't concerning to me.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're in this position with your girl. It's so scary when they're not well :hugs:

First off, I absolutely agree with denice denice that Isabella needs a vet today. Do you have any friends or neighbours that could take you? Or would a taxi be an option? (I've used a taxi to get to the vet in the past, but I absolutely appreciate that that isn't always an option).

About the bile - it IS yellow, sometimes almost fluorescent yellow. That's normal - it just means there isn't much in the stomach to bring up. So, whilst bringing up bile isn't good, the colour in itself isn't concerning to me.
No, we don't really know anyone here and we live out in the country so no taxi's x.x Not sure we could get an uber either. I'm HOPING my mother wakes up soon, because right now she's the only one who can drive (I injured my eye and I'm not supposed to drive at ALL until it's healed/i'm off meds)

Small update, I set up the old crate with a bed and a litter box, a bowl of water and some food. I moved her in there. For a few minutes she stomped around in absolute protest then settled down and is now sitting the same way she was before. She got up once to get in the litter box to poop (still runny/loose) and spit up a little more, but there hasn't been any real change other than her doing that about an hour and a half ago.

I did catch her drinking some water, but the moment she noticed me watching her she looked away.

I think she wants to go back into the utility room and I'm just having hesitant thoughts about letting her go in there. If she DOES pass, I hate the idea of her being alone. But part of me is also concerned that maybe she won't eat/drink unless I remove her away from where the dog prowls/the other cats sniff (because you know, one is in a crate so they ALL need to come be nosey x.x)

I'm HOPING we can get her to the vet soon. It's been a few hours, so I'm hoping my mother will wake up (I checked, she's sleeping so x.x)

I guess the only good news is that she hasn't changed/doesn't seem to be in pain (she lets me carry her without complaint or any out of the normal complaining anyway)

I haven't slept but I'm not sure what to do. Should I let her go back into the utility room and try to sleep or should I continue keeping her near/staying awake? I don't want her to be alone, but at the same time I also know she prefers it sometimes (she won't eat usually unless she's alone)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think absolutely let her be where she wants to be and get some rest yourself. You have to look after yourself to look after her. I know how hard it is with sick cats nearing the end, but if she's happiest in the utility room let her be in there. Especially if there's a better chance she'll eat and drink.

I hope your mom wakes up soon. You and your girl are in my thoughts :hugs: :vibes:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are in this position with your cat. I agree that she needs as vet as soon as you can get her to one as the symptoms have persisted. Allowing her into the room she prefers is probably for the best as it is her choice and she will feel more comfortable there even if it is not what you would do.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my mother woke up to late to take her to the vet. I'm hoping that we'll be able to get in first thing in the morning as I'm going to advise her NOT to take any sleep aids tonight.

I was at least able to rule out any loss of bladder control. She's been consistently coming out of her spot to use the bathroom. While I know she drank a little water out here with me, I don't know if she's drank any in the Utility Room though since I can't see her unless I go in and i've been sleeping. She's not lethargic though. She gets up to use her box, and if I tug her from the corner she'll walk. If she's out in the house she'll jump up on her chair. She seems -tired- but not like... floppy lethargic.

I forgot to mention, I did see what looked like worms on her butt. But I passed them off as not being worms because I don't see any in her stool & when I tried to clean them off to get a better look, they wouldn't come off -- so I figured skin irritation?

There's been little change. She still hasn't eaten, I'm about to try again soon once the chicken and rice is finished cooking.

Side note: My dog has had diarrhea for two days in a row, but she was still eating and her issue resolved after feeding her some chicken and rice. One of the kittens also had diarrhea, I'm assuming Jasper, but I'm not sure if I should consider it coincidental or not since he's had tummy issues in terms of diarrhea since we adopted him. He has still been eating fine.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: We GOT TO THE VET!!!!

Here is the ruling: The vet says she had a fever & infection, he believes that she has a hyperthyroid issue. He says she is in great condition though, no weight loss since her last visit, nothing swollen, and has a good coat. He gave us Flagyl (flagel?) for her tummy and dewormed her just to be on the safe side. He gave her a shot to help with her upset stomach and food that we can syringe feed her if she still isn't eating by tonight. He says if we've had no progress with her by monday to come back for blood work, but he pretty much thinks she looks a-okay and just has a bug. I straight up looked him in the eye and asked if he thought she was dying and he said no, not at all. He also doesn't think she needs to be on senior food just yet.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, that's absolutely fantastic news! I'm glad it is just a bug and nothing more serious. I hope the Flagyl and shot sort her out, and that she's well on the way to recovery soon :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's absolutely fantastic news! I'm glad it is just a bug and nothing more serious. I hope the Flagyl and shot sort her out, and that she's well on the way to recovery soon :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you! Me too!

She still doesn't want to eat, but I'm guessing that's normal if it's a stomach bug.

I would wait it out but this is day 3 so I bought some chicken baby food and spoon fed it to her. She looks so hurt and upset, but I can't have her not eat. I'm also planning on gently syringe feeding her some water. I'm really hoping that after tonight she'll start wanting to eat and drink on her own so that I don't have to force her, I really don't want to stress her out MORE than she already is =(

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Still no desire to eat.

I talked to a friend of mine whose dog had been on Flagyl. She said it took about 2 days for Honeybear (her dog) to start wanting to eat again.

I feel so awful. I've been in tears all of last night and this morning.

I made the choice to force feed her. It was day 3. She needed something in her stomach. I fed her an entire bottle of chicken baby food. She held it down, and I left her alone. A few hours later she had her second dose of meds and I left her alone again. I still don't know if she's drinking water or not, though. This morning, she still shows no sign of wanting to eat, so I opened a packet of the fancy feast broth (she loves fancy feast usually and right now I don't care what she eats so long as she eats) and had to once again force-feed-spoon-feed her the broth. I fed her the whole packet and that has stayed down too. A few hours later, I gave her her meds again but also fed her a syringe full of water, because I'm not sure if she's drinking or not and I know she NEEDS to be hydrated.

I'm leaving her alone now, and I'll try to get her to eat again tonight. My question is these: Should I force feed her again tonight, or let her relax now that she has at least two meals in her stomach? Should I continue to syringe feed her water or leave her alone there as well?

She went a whole day without throwing up, is holding her food down & so far no diarrhea. So that's good. The only concerning thing to me is that she doesn't look like she's going to the bathroom at all. On the other hand, she's only just started getting food and water in her system again.

Thank you guys for always being so patient. I'm a nervous wreck right now, I just want her to feel better but I admit... I know she has to eat and I don't feel bad for making the choice to force feed her because I think she needed it, but I am deeply afraid I'm damaging her trust in me =(

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
but I am deeply afraid I'm damaging her trust in me =(
I know how you feel with that. but your not losing her trust. I am wondering the same thing. I had to tramatize and fight Lily to get her to vet on Tuesday because of a UTI, and for the last several days I've been having to force a HUGE amount of antibiotics down her throat, twice a day, and now having to force miralax into also. She's NOT happy about it all, but I am confident it doesn't affect her trust, or how she feels towards me. She knows I would never deliberately do anything to hurt her, and I truly believe she knows I'm doing all this, to help her feel better, like she knows how miserable she was, and knows that me doing stuff is making her feel better. Yes she's grouchy, but she's slowly getting better.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel with that. but your not losing her trust. I am wondering the same thing. I had to tramatize and fight Lily to get her to vet on Tuesday because of a UTI, and for the last several days I've been having to force a HUGE amount of antibiotics down her throat, twice a day, and now having to force miralax into also. She's NOT happy about it all, but I am confident it doesn't affect her trust, or how she feels towards me. She knows I would never deliberately do anything to hurt her, and I truly believe she knows I'm doing all this, to help her feel better, like she knows how miserable she was, and knows that me doing stuff is making her feel better. Yes she's grouchy, but she's slowly getting better.

Yeah, it's just so hard to feel like I'm constantly stressing her out when it comes to all of this. I feel SO guilty. >.<

I just went in to check on her and she had diarrhea again. =( I'm not sure if the food caused it or not, but I'm at least glad she's not throwing up

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs::redheartpump::hugs:

You're absolutely doing the right thing. She needs food in her, and if force feeding is what's needed until she's well enough to eat on her own, then that's what you have to do. I'm certain you won't be damaging your relationship with her or her trust in you. She knows she's not well, and she knows you're helping and looking after her - even if she doesn't love the process.

I wouldn't stress about the diarrhoea - she's still recovering, so its to be expected that things will take a while to settle. As you say, the most important thing is to get food and fluids into her. I wouldn't worry as much about syringing the water as you're feeding wet food, which will have a decent moisture content. Some extra water is good, especially with her being a little dehydrated, but food is the most important thing right now. Do be careful when syringing water (or food) that she doesn't aspirate anything by accident. Go slow, and give her plenty of time to swallow each mouthful.

I totally understand feeling guilty, but none of this is your fault and you're absolutely giving her the best care possible. I know its hard, but keep doing what you're doing until she's ready to eat on her own.

As for feeding again, I think its important she's getting as much food as she'd eat normally. So, if she'd normally have a third meal, go for it, but if she's eaten as much as she usually would already then don't worry too much. It sounds like you've got a good amount into her today, which is great.

Trust yourself. You've got this :hugs::vibes:

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
:hugs::redheartpump::hugs:

You're absolutely doing the right thing. She needs food in her, and if force feeding is what's needed until she's well enough to eat on her own, then that's what you have to do. I'm certain you won't be damaging your relationship with her or her trust in you. She knows she's not well, and she knows you're helping and looking after her - even if she doesn't love the process.

I wouldn't stress about the diarrhoea - she's still recovering, so its to be expected that things will take a while to settle. As you say, the most important thing is to get food and fluids into her. I wouldn't worry as much about syringing the water as you're feeding wet food, which will have a decent moisture content. Some extra water is good, especially with her being a little dehydrated, but food is the most important thing right now. Do be careful when syringing water (or food) that she doesn't aspirate anything by accident. Go slow, and give her plenty of time to swallow each mouthful.

I totally understand feeling guilty, but none of this is your fault and you're absolutely giving her the best care possible. I know its hard, but keep doing what you're doing until she's ready to eat on her own.

As for feeding again, I think its important she's getting as much food as she'd eat normally. So, if she'd normally have a third meal, go for it, but if she's eaten as much as she usually would already then don't worry too much. It sounds like you've got a good amount into her today, which is great.

Trust yourself. You've got this :hugs::vibes:
Normally they eat in the morning and at night! So I'll try feeding her again tonight. I might use the can food the vet gave us tonight though. I didn't want to use it RIGHT away, because I didn't want to end up wasting it. But now that I see she's holding her food down, I think it'll be safe to use.

I am being careful, thanks =) It was scary at first though! She started drooling and almost looked rabid! I was told that's a natural reaction though, so I'm trying to be a little slower. Mostly it's just the water/meds I'm using the syringe for. With the food I'm using a little spoon and she seems to be doing okay chewing on her own if I force her to. I think if I didn't, she'd probably spit it all out though. I feel so bad, I know she doesn't want to eat but she has to.

Thanks for the words of encouragement too! I still feel so bad, but it helps to know I'm probably not damaging our bond. She's been with me for HALF of my life. I remember when we went to adopt her, she was in the little display. I fell in love with her in that moment and had to have her. I knew she was my cat. We couldn't take her home that day and I was crushed. We got to go back the next day and it was SO good we did because she was literally minutes away from being put to sleep. She was only a few weeks old =(

Here is a picture of her the day we brought her home.^_^

1595177022739.png

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, what a gorgeous baby:lovecat3::lovecat3: I'm so glad you found each other :heartshape:

I hope the vet food helps settle her stomach further, and that it even tempts her to eat a little more enthusiastically. Force feeding is no fun, but its not uncommon for it to be necessary to get a sick animal over the hump whilst waiting for meds to kick in. I've hand fed and force fed several cats over the years, and a couple of dogs. It does get easier, and you do settle into a routine of it with them. You're an amazing mom to your girl, and she knows it. She's lucky to have you.