I desperately need advice

sav1297

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Disclaimer I fully intend to take my cat to the vet I just would like to hopefully have some more information on what might be going on to avoid having to have multiple vet trips to try and find a solution)

My 8 year old cat Salem has recently been experiencing some concerning symptoms and I’m hoping maybe someone has some experience or insight. So in August he began having severe diarrhea after ingesting a different type of food while visiting with my parents (their cats food). The vet prescribed him hill science diet dry food and probiotics. His poop got back to normal and for a bit all was well. He lost the hair around both eyes. Then he became to scratch a lot and develop little bumps and scabs on his body. They’re mainly around his neck where he scratches, but they also go down his back. He is bathing constantly. He’s seemed a bit more neurotic lately too. His pupils are huge and he seems skittish and paranoid. He’s been overgrooming his whole life and licks neat patches of fur off his front legs. Sometimes he does it more or in other locations and it just seems to get worse and get better at random times. The vet said it was from anxiety with me traveling semi often for work and him having to stay with a sitter. Now I’m being to think it might be something else might be going on.

He’s been eating, drinking, and using the litter box normally. After a ton of research I have a few theories, but I’m not totally sure. One theory is that he might have feline hyperesthesia because I’ve noticed that his skin on his back tends to ripple and twitch. He also is very sensitive at the base of his tail and often chews there. He’s also always been very hyper and chaotic.

My second theory is that he’s allergic to chicken and his new hill science diet is causing this. He doesn’t like chicken so prior to this he only gotten chicken a few times a week in very small amounts. Now his dry foods main ingredient is chicken and he’s getting it daily. Maybe his previous overgrooming was caused by the small amount of chicken?

My third theory is that I’ve been unknowingly hurting him by burning candles and using mrs meyers fall scented cleaner. After researching this I’ve learned about all of the essential oils that are poisonous to cats. A few weeks ago I bought a fall scented mrs meyers spray and it has both clove and cinnamon oil in it. I’ve also been burning a pumpkin spice candle which probably has that too. I had no clue and I’m horrified. I’ve definitely burned cinnamon scented candles in the past but this is my first time using the Mrs Meyers cleaner so this definitely could’ve triggered it. Maybe this caused it?

I’m not sure what to do. I definitely plan to take him to the vet, but I honestly can’t afford to bring him to the vet multiple times for them to guess what’s going on and have me come back several times before they run tests. If there’s anything I could do at home to help I’d like to try that first. I’ve cut out the chicken in his food and quit using the cleaner and candles. I want to take good care of him so bad and I’m so upset and stressed over this. I just finished paying off the $700 credit card bill from his emergency vet visit in September. I feel like there are a thousand things I’ve been doing wrong and I’m so overwhelmed with this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
As you know you'll want to stop with all scented candles, cleaners, laundry soaps, dryer sheets (wool balls are great). I am not assuming it caused his issues, but these things don't help. Make sure his litter isn't scented.

You said you cut out chicken in his dry food. Is he getting any wet food? There are a lot of brands that don't have chicken or fish, this is one list to help you start;
The 7 Best Chicken-Free Cat Foods - All About Cats

Whether he has hyperesthesia, you'll want to see how much difference the food change makes (transition slowly) first. Is his water filtered?

Find a calming product that works for him, it's possible a plugin variety might be helpful in his case. For his sake, let go of what's happened in the past and focus on a positive outcome going forward.

Try some coconut oil which is antimicrobial, or storebought (not garden grown which is unsafe for cats) chamomile tea on his hotspots. The tea is anti fungal and anti bacterial. Both will help ease discomfort and are safe if ingested.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think first and foremost is to get him back on the food he was eating at the onset of all of this - as it would seem that a food change with your parents started most of the problems - correct? And, then changing again to a vet prescribed food may have just added to the problem. Have you ever just put him back on the food he ate before some of these issues started?

Overgrooming can also be a result of environmental and/or seasonal allergies, since you said it is off and on (so, less likely food related). But your elimination of the use of various cleaning products/candles/etc. is a great place to start with that aspect. I'd put hyperesthesia on the back burner until you get other things adjusted.

If you constantly take him out of his home when your job requires it, you might consider getting someone to check on him/spend time with him in your own home instead. Introduction to, and relationship building with, an in-home caretaker while you are gone can be very helpful vs. moving him to someone else's home. Regardless, never let anyone feed him something besides his normal food.

An 8 yo cat should be seeing a vet for a thorough exam, blood work, and urinalysis at least once, if not twice a year - just so you can see changes before they become big issues.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you suspect hyperesthesia, get some videos of the rippling and chewing of the tail area. He more than likely won't do either of those things in the vet's office, but if you can show some examples the vet can rule in or out on hyperesthesia.

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's the food. Hill's is crap.
Get your sweet cat onto raw food with ENZYMES - that's why he has the diarreah. He needs enzymes that only a species appropriate diet can offer. That vet is probably not doing him or you any favors either. Try to get to a holistic vet asap. If you need help finding one - pm your location and can help you find one near you.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree w Feeby’s Owner and Furball’s Mom….I was using lavender Meyer‘s and my cat started foaming at the mouth. Chicken can often be a culprit as far as allergies go. Not a fan of Hill’s either.

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where do you put this cleanser people that cats are being affected to this degree? FWIW - I separate my cats from these substances as far as possible because it's known that they can cause trouble. As to OP's issues - this is just another thing that has piled on the underlying issue of the food. I'd also check for parasites if it hasn't been done already. Also Rescue Remedy can help A LOT with everything.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be chicken or fish. Lots of cat foods have fish in them even if they don’t say it on the label. Chicken entree for instance. Check the ingredients and you may see fish in there.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Meyer's certainly doesn't dilute enough so can be dangerous to cats.
I use straight vinegar and water to wash the floors, or Swiffer pet version since I can recycle those through TerraCycle.

Many and most pagans do use candles and incense in the homes with cats all the time. Like ALL the time, daily or many times a day. Blood work yearly with none of these "essential oil" symptoms that have become a huge issue.

I think what's happening with many is that essential oils have become a health craze. Lay people use them and don't know that most are toxic and don't wash their hands before touching their pets. Then the pets are injesting small amounts and over time or immediately depending on toxicity, their pets become ill. Also, with more people using it, more pets are exposed and we may see an increase in allergic reactions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sav1297

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a week ago I posted this thread I desperately need advice and there have been a few changes in the past week with my cats behavior that I wanted to see if anyone had any idea what his problem could be. If you don’t want to read the previous post basically my cat started experiencing symptoms of allergies (constant bathing and scratching, little scabs and bumps everywhere, and shaking his head) and I’ve been trying to figure out what it could be. I’ve cut out many of the things I suspected and have deep cleaned and washed my entire apartment with gentle natural cleaners that should not irritate him further. Despite cutting out everything I thought could be causing these issues and bathing him and cleaning my entire apartment with fragrance free cleaners (basically I just have used vinegar and dish soap on my house) he is still scratching and has gotten worse if anything. He’s started to avoid any fabric surfaces. He stays on my desk or dresser or the tile floor exclusively and will sprint back to the desk if I try putting him somewhere with fabric. What’s really weird though is suddenly he’s fine with laying on my bed when I go to sleep. He will lay right next to me in bed the entire night and it’s like all of his issues go away. He also doesn’t mind laying on my clothes, but refuses to lay on a blanket. He doesn’t have fleas I’m 99% sure, but maybe it could be mites or something? I just don’t get why he’s suddenly fine at bedtime and wants to stay right next to me the entire night (which he didn’t do before this stuff began he used to sleep by my feet and get up multiple times a night). I gave him 1 gabapentin (he has a prescription to use for vet visits) during the worst of his scratching to try and give him a little bit of relief since Benadryl wasn’t working. It worked like a charm and he barely scratched and seemed so much calmer than he had been. I made a vet appointment for Saturday, but I’m trying to do as much as I can for him until then and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be going on?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is fine at night when he sleeps with you without the gabapentin, or is that when you gave it to him?

If you stopped feeding him the chicken based food, and stopped using anything scented as of last Wednesday, it might take longer than a week to see the results.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Allergies will take at least a full month to clear. If his skin and such is that distressed, he likely will still be itchy as he heals.

Dermatitis doesn't really clear instantly with allergy medication the same way hives do.