Hyperthyroidism? Maybe? Could Use Your Opinion.

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off, I know you guys aren’t vets. The cat I’m about to talk about has been to the vet recently, and will go back, it’s just some of you have been cat owners longer so you guys have more experience than me. Second, sorry another long post.

Artemis is female, spayed, and (exact date unknown) one nearly going on two. I can’t remember when it all started but maybe around Jan or Feb of this year she started throwing up after she ate dry food 4/10 times. I rotate through Natures Variety (nearly half their line), Dr Elseys, and sometimes Earthborn. She kept moist food down unless she decided to be an idiot and eat too fast. I thought it might have been from eating too fast, and the vet thought it might be from hairballs (medium hair, scared of brushes for some reason). So the plan was slow feeders and an increase in hairball remedy.

This worked for about a month and it started all over again. No matter what I did nothing helped. It got to the point where she would get sick pretty much every time she ate dry (even non poultry flavours, even though she was fine with moist). So I called the vet and switched her completely to moist in the mean time.

Now I don’t how much dry she ate because the cats’ bowels are in another room, but I noticed she really loved moist. I go through a lot of brands, but on average she would get a 3oz can of higher end food in the morning and at night, and my mom gave her one of those 1oz Sheba perfect portions when she got home from work (I work 12s, so I didn’t want Artie starving since she wasn’t eating dry). She would eat that, plus all of what was left over from the other four cats dinners.

Vet thought it might be a stomach alcer, gave her meds, and I’m suppose to call him sometime within the next couple days. While she hasn’t had any side effects, she also hasn’t eaten any dry nor has any inclination to. I also noticed that Artie can eat a whole 5.5oz can and still go looking for left overs. And she’s been recently going over to her food dish and meowing at me when I enter the room.

Her poop is a little soft but no where near loose, she doesn’t drink anymore water than normal. I’m not sure about energy levels because she’s super skittish and rarely leaves my side when I’m home (she has been caught on video playing a few times when no one was home, but she otherwise just chills by my side or in the window). She has lost a pound between March and the 4th of this month (August). She’s also been dewormed recently (and get dewormed for all worms every 3 months or so).

Opinions?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hyperthyroid is fairly uncommon in youger cats, but anything is possible. Something is definitely wrong. I'd want to run a full blood panel to see if anything shows up.

IBD is another possibility. That won't show up on blood tests though.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
If the softer poop is not accompanied with liqud poop, blood in the stool, etc. and her deowmring treatment is updated it is more likely the food than environmental changes. Hyperthyroidism (HT) causes a lot of things, but diarrhea is not the first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the softer poop is not accompanied with liqud poop, blood in the stool, etc. and her deowmring treatment is updated it is more likely the food than environmental changes. Hyperthyroidism (HT) causes a lot of things, but diarrhea is not the first.
She doesn’t have diarrhea. She scores a 2 maybe 3 if your pushing it on the cat poop chart. I don’t know what else to feed her besides raw. All the cats food is grain free, carrageenan free, and sometimes it’s the expensive ziwipeak and dr elseys.