hyperthyroidism and anemia

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got all the bloodwork back on my kitty and on top of the allergies, asthma and arthritis he now has hyperthyroidism and anemia. Will be ordering the thyroid medication tomorrow it will be topical on his ears, vet is hoping that once thats under control the anemia will get better. The vet said he is also alittle backwards as he doesn't have a strong appetite right now so we should feed him what ever he will eat. A different kind of canned food was recommened along with liver.... (ewwww) Thankfully we caught this before it got any worse.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know about anyone else's cat, but Feeby seems to like some of the canned foods that contain liver. I think it is more of an attractant than you might think. Even FlortiFlora, which is a probiotic but really serves more of a purpose of being a food enhancer contains liver.

Btw, when Feeby was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, she wasn't typical either in that she did not have a voracious appetite. She was deemed to have apathetic hyper-T - simply meaning she didn't demonstrate some of the more common symptoms, just weight loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about anyone else's cat, but Feeby seems to like some of the canned foods that contain liver. I think it is more of an attractant than you might think. Even FlortiFlora, which is a probiotic but really serves more of a purpose of being a food enhancer contains liver.

Btw, when Feeby was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, she wasn't typical either in that she did not have a voracious appetite. She was deemed to have apathetic hyper-T - simply meaning she didn't demonstrate some of the more common symptoms, just weight loss.
Sadly from what I’m finding out I’m going to have to invest in some nose plugs to cook him some liver, I’ve been also told boiled chicken is another good one to try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if freeze dried liver would be less offensive for you?
My vet said they are against giving it to him raw so I don't have many options.
Edit: hmm after looking it over it might be something to check alittle deeper into, but I wonder how much more expensive it would be.

Last edited: