Hyperthyroid: skipping methimazole doses while traveling?

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a slightly hyperthyroid cat, he gets 0.25mg methimazole twice/day. When we have a cat sitter come we have her give both doses at once every 24 hours (vet said that’s fine to do as needed, just probably less effective than spacing it out).

Our cat sitter canceled on us at the very last minute and our usual sitter is out of town. So we are looking at either cancelling Christmas travel or else he goes 48 hours without a dose. Since it isn’t a life-sustaining medicine I am thinking it’s not at the point where we need to stay home… has anyone had their cat go off the medicine for a couple days before? How quickly do symptoms resume? I figure worst case his ravenous appetite returns, but only 2 days shouldn’t be terrible… looking for anyone with experience here

Last edited:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the vet says it is fine, then don't worry. Your lucky, you can pill your cat. No way I could do mine, she spit them out.

• Purraise
Reactions: 5DH

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said every 24 hours you can give a double dose for example 2.5 mg every 24 hours rather than 1.25mg every 12 hours.

The medicine does leave their system fairly quickly though so you may notice mild thyroid symptoms later in the day.

This is what my vet said for Kabuto. Please double check with your vet before changing how you give medication. One size does not fit all with medications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet said every 24 hours you can give a double dose for example 2.5 mg every 24 hours rather than 1.25mg every 12 hours.

The medicine does leave their system fairly quickly though so you may notice mild thyroid symptoms later in the day.

This is what my vet said for Kabuto. Please double check with your vet before changing how you give medication. One size does not fit all with medications.
Thank you for the reply! Half of my original post got cut off - including the part with the question. If you have any additional thoughts much appreciated

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Well in Kabuto's case hyperthyroidism also caused his current heart condition. CHF.

Im not sure what condition your cat is in but I wouldn't skip a day if it is preventing damage to your cats heart.

Hyperthyroidism can cause different conditions depending on the animal. In Kabuto's case his heart is being affected to the point it has thickened and has a grade 3 murmer.

Hyperthyroidism does alot of internal damage that you can't see. The thyroid acts like a throttle for the whole body, hyperthyroidism is like the throttle being stuck open so everything works harder. Like reving a vehical.

The damage is irreversableif it does happen but I cannot speak for your particular case because I do not know your cat nor its medication. People on this site are not vets. Only your vet can tell you the answer.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I guess my first question would be since both pet sitters cancelled and you'll be gone for two days, who will be watching and taking care of your cat in your absence? For example: feeding, changing the water bowl, cleaning the litter box, playing with him and keeping an eye on him in case anything should go wrong.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess my first question would be since both pet sitters cancelled and you'll be gone for two days, who will be watching and taking care of your cat in your absence? For example: feeding, changing the water bowl, cleaning the litter box, playing with him and keeping an eye on him in case anything should go wrong.
Agreed, you can't just leave them alone. What happens if a bowl gets tipped or a house fire starts?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
People on this site are not vets. Only your vet can tell you the answer.
We can't provide specific dosing information and valid points have been mentioned which may or may not apply to your cat. Call the vet and ask what they recommend.