Hyperthyroid kitty unable to take Methimazole or treatments

Marqueax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Baby Fido is 14 and was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid 3 months ago. We found her as a tiny just months old hairless pink kitty in a burned out house. She is albino and allergic to everything, our vet says we've overcome huge problems and she has lived a wonderful life so far. This hyperthyroid diagnoses is proving to be very difficult. She can not tolerated the Methimazole it almost killed her. Due to her frailness the vets do not belived she would withstand the surgery or radiation treatment. We got right on treating her through food and it's been tough finding the right grain free, non iodine, no fish food but we have. She is thin bit her coat is no longer rough, no diarrhea or excessive thirst she is playing with her toys again. She had been doing good.

Suddenly last week she started throwing up sometime after she ate. I noticed it was usually after she drinks water so I started picking the water up so her food would digest for an hour and then putting it back down, it worked. Then today out of the blue before her 4 AM meal (she eats 4-6 times a day) she smelled the food and suddenly threw up. Now Im worried about what the throwing up means. Has anyone encountered this with their HT kitty or can offer any advice?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hills makes a prescription Y/D food for hyperthyroid cats. If you feed this food, you cannot feed any other food to the cat. No treats, no table scraps, no regular cat food of any kind.

But if you have found a commercial food that works for your cat, that's great :) There's a chart linked here on TCS that you can use to find possible other suitable foods:

I'd keep track of the vomiting and let the vet know. It may be nothing to worry about at the moment but it's good to keep the vet in the loop. Smelling food and then vomiting might indicate nausea.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of my older cats started vomiting. It may be unrelated and there are other meds she may be able to take to help with this. It could be that she is just not completely used to her new food, a change in diet is notorious for vomiting. Change foods very slowly. She may be able to eat Gerber infant baby food meat with no additives or veggies. The turkey is bland. I will pray for your little one, you are all so blessed to have found each other.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marqueax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hills makes a prescription Y/D food for hyperthyroid cats. If you feed this food, you cannot feed any other food to the cat. No treats, no table scraps, no regular cat food of any kind.

But if you have found a commercial food that works for your cat, that's great :) There's a chart linked here on TCS that you can use to find possible other suitable foods:

[/URL][/URL]

I'd keep track of the vomiting and let the vet know. It may be nothing to worry about at the moment but it's good to keep the vet in the loop. Smelling food and then vomiting might indicate nausea.
Thank you for the fast response. The y/d was tried when the medication was stopped and it was determined by both vets she would not tolerate the surgery or the radiation. She was allergic to the food and Hills brand too. I did research for grain free, non fish or soy high protein almost raw like pate food and went through a ton of brands. So far Nulo, Nutro, Wellness Core, Instinct Protein, Hound and Gatos & Whole Earth each offer a flavor she likes and that's where I am right now. She likes lamb and rabbit in any brand but chicken, duck, liver flavors depend on the brand. The Instinct Ultimate Protein Pak is her favorite right now. She never liked fish flavors much so she doesn't miss them.

She ate fine and a lot this morning, there has been no throwing up yet today. I've been adding the Thyroid Support Gold to her food all along so I know it's not the drops
It appears taking all water up for an hour and giving her food time to digest keeps her from throwing up. Maybe having an empty tummy at 4 AM caused it, she missed her 1 AM meal. I'll take a look at your food chart to see if there are any others that have extra fat and help build and keep muscle mass.
Being albino and health challenged her whole life she's on the small side and has never been fat so her weight loss is a little hard to measure except on a scale. Since her fur is smooth again and not raggedy and rough looking its challenging day to day to know if we're making any progress. I am keeping track of the vomiting.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elevating the food and water bowls may or may not help with the vomiting issue. It won't hurt to try plus an elevated bowl is easier on the joints as it keeps a senior aged cat from crouching and bending over to eat. I just use a small upside down cardboard box that is covered with adhesive Contact paper for easy mess clean up. The box is about 4 1/2" tall.

Going too long without food can cause vomiting in some cats. Try offering an extra meal or two.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was she taking the methimazole orally? Did your vet talk to you about the transdermal gel option? You rub it on the ear, and since it bypasses the digestive tract there are far fewer side effects. You may have already explored that option but just wanted to throw it out there.

Marqueax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was she taking the methimazole orally? Did your vet talk to you about the transdermal gel option? You rub it on the ear, and since it bypasses the digestive tract there are far fewer side effects. You may have already explored that option but just wanted to throw it out there.
Yes, we tried the gel first on her ears and back of the head it was horrible. That lead to the oral which nearly killed her
Many of my older cats started vomiting. It may be unrelated and there are other meds she may be able to take to help with this. It could be that she is just not completely used to her new food, a change in diet is notorious for vomiting. Change foods very slowly. She may be able to eat Gerber infant baby food meat with no additives or veggies. The turkey is bland. I will pray for your little one, you are all so blessed to have found each other.....
Thank you for your prayer and support. It makes me feel not so alone trying to find a solution for my little girl.

Marqueax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wondering if its normal for hyperthtroid kirty to drool after eating from time to time? Anyone else with hyperthyroid kitty have this happen?