Hyperthyroid/Kidney

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. This is my first post here. I was wondering if you have experienced anything like what I am about to explain.

I hd to euthanize my sweet 16 year-old sweet cat yesterday. He was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and stage 2 kidney in June. Put on 5 of meliazole(sp?). It worked well and at the 3 week appointment it was reduced to 2.5 of Felimazole(sp?) He was doing well, until last week. He started meowing excessively at night and I do not think we slept for 3 days. Took him to the vet this past Wednesday. While waiting , he was happy and walking around the room. They took him to take blood. When he came back it was like he was sedated or drunk. I donlt onow why I didmnot ask them what they did. I guess I was half out of it from not sleeping. It makes me cry so much that I did not ask. I don't know if he had a stroke or they sedated him and did not say, or charge me because something went wrong. This particular doctor jumped pretty much to the other side of the room with my other cat when he was trying to check his teeth and he thought he was going to bite him. I took him there because my other vets never have appointments and this one takes walk-ins. Not that any other vet is any good, I am finding.
when we got home he was eating amd drinking but still not back to normal. His appointment was at 2pm and around 10pm I gave him a dose of Gabeputin(sp? After that, he was bot the same. He ate the next day but would not drink. I thought maybe they sedated him and then the dose of G was too much and it had to wear off. The next day he drank but did not eat. The next day he did nothing but sleep, so we got him to the emergency vet because it was the weekend.

They took his citals and said those were good, but his kidney reading or whatever they measure was at 8 and he was in stage 4. She said they would have to do sub IVs and he would have to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days and if that did not work, do another round with shots at home. She said he was pretty bad . We were there for 5 hours until we decided to put the sweet thing down. She said if it was her cat that is what she would do and I knew since he was so far gone and because of his age his quality of life would not be good.

So, basically I just want to know if any of you have had this experience . Especially, what you think happened at the vet who took the blood and if you think that was what caused this. Thank you

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for your loss.
They would not have sedated him without your consent and they for sure would have charged you. That is a fact. The amount of trouble they could get into for sedating without your approval is allot. Plus, you were right there for them to ask.
When he was brought back to you, did the Vet bring him back, or a tech? How long was he gone from you? How did the person look who brought him back? Did the vet see him after the blood draw? Do you know where the blood was drawn from? Leg? Neck? Was there anything unusual about his appearance other than the sedated listlessness? Was any part of his body wet? Did he smell of alcohol?

I know it’s allot of questions. Please don’t answer if you don’t feel up to it. None of this will bring him back. You did the best you could. You brought him to a place where people are supposed to be caring for animals. This is not your fault.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. You would think they would tell us and charge us, but if they know they did wrong, I am not so sure. the vet tech brought him back and then the vet came 20 minutes later with the results. They took it from the juglar vein. He did not smell of alcohol this time. I did notice that and thought that was weird . He was gone for maybe 15 minutes and I did not notice her face because I was looking at my cat. Sorry. No he just look like he had this sedated /drunk look. He was a bit better at home so that is why I gave him that sedative medicine they gave me and why I thought it was too much and that is why he was like that. He just wanted to sleep in the bathroom next to the toilet. . I put a little pet mattress to make him comfortable. I just think maybe they could have helped him if I brought him to a vet the next day, but I thought it was the meds and it would get out of his system. Now, I think maybe he had a stroke with the blood test. Thank you for your help and kind words. I am sleeping downstairs with my last cat left. He is crying for him and it is heart breaking. His littermate/sister, died on Good Friday of this year from IBD. She was 15. That is why I missed the thyroid problem with this one. I was so focused on her and thought this one was just being a little more extra than normal. I was very lucky because I had 4 cats at one time and they all got along and loved each other.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry and I feel bad for your mourning cat.

I think that he had a cardiac event also, during the blood draw. Fifteen minutes is a long time to draw some blood. When I worked at the cat hospital, we never took cats to the back and would draw blood in the exam room with the owner present. It is less stressful for all involved. Most vets do take animals to the back for procedures.

I hope your cat at home is able to get some sleep tonight. You as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think he did too. This guy, like I said, would take walk-ins. That is why I went to him, because I could not get an appointment with any other that day, or the next. There was a yelp review but it is gone now, where they said he was afraid of cats and there was something about him drawing blood from the neck. For some reason, it is gone now. I wrote one though. I had taken him a few times before ,there and everything was okay. I took my other almost 16 year-old cat there last month for a check up and when he went to check the mouth, he thought he was going to bite him and he jumped clear across the other side of the room. I did not think anything would happen with a blood draw because it has never happened before in all the years I have had a cat Or a dog. I will not go back to him and from now on will ask to be in the room when any vet does this to any of my animals. He did have a whole new set of techs and office personnel from last time.I did notice that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that he had a cardiac event also, during the blood draw. Fifteen minutes is a long time to draw some blood. When I worked at the cat hospital, we never took cats to the back and would draw blood in the exam room with the owner present. It is less stressful for all involved. Most vets do take animals to the back for procedures.
This happened to a 14 year old diabetic cat of mine a few years ago. She was not in great health, taken to the back for the blood draw (which all vets out here, or at least the ones I patronize do), came back very stressed. Definitely not sedated and this vet has always asked for permission and charged for sedation. In fact, they just had to sedate my HCM boy and had a long talk with me previously to inform about risks and benefits and get my permission. Stella, the diabetic cat, went into what I am sure was cardiac arrest shortly after we got home and died in my arms. It was so fast that there is no way I could have transported her anyplace for help. Of course, I called the vet immediately and they agreed that it was probably a cardiac event. I did not blame them, as her health was precarious, and these sad things can happen coincidentally with another procedure. Of course, I was upset and wondered how stressed they had allowed her to become, but I never believed there was malpractice.

I am very sorry for your loss, and for the loss of your little girl at Easter.