Hurt Semi-feral

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have feral cat that hangs here at my house. I feed him and he lets me pet him a little but that's about it. He came up yesterday with a very swollen paw (double the size of his other paw) and I was wondering what I could do for him? I don't have the money to take him to the vet. I'm not sure taking him to the vet would do any good either - what could they do for him? I know that NSAIDs and Tylenol are not good but can I give him half of a low dose Bayer aspirin? Any other suggestions? I tried to pet him on his side (above the leg) this morning and he was having none of it. So I"m not sure if it is the shoulder, leg or paw. He will run off if I try to do anything.... I know he is in pain, I can tell by how he is talking to me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, don't give him anything. There aren't any safe OTC painkillers for cats. If it's a minor injury, he should be showing signs of improvement within 3 days. If things get worse or he doesn't improve, he will need vet care. Are there any shelters or rescue groups in your area? You could call all of them to see if they can help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First. Helping him when he is hurt makes his socialization much quicker because he does recognize you are trying to help out.

Aspirine in very small dosage can probably be used. I saw once a veterinary paper discuss the dosages. So some vets apparently do it.
But again knowing the dosage is essential. If you dont know dont guess. Your sympathy and a safe comfortable place to rest is care enough, if nothing else.

That said aspirine can sometimes be used on the outside too. Against insect bites.
Crush a little mix out with water smear on.
And try to stop from licking this off!