Humidifier to get rid of smell

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The people nextdoor to me(apt) smoke. The odor is now in my bathroom. They have a 2 story. Would a humidifier help? If so which one/kind?

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ran into this once.
Is your medicine cabinet on a shared wall with them ?
You might need to pull it out and put up plastic, seal it and replace the cabinet.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CL56 CL56 is possibly right on the mark. A very long time ago when we lived in Pittsburgh I think if we took our medicine cabinet out and the family next door did the same we could have shaken hands through the hole in the wall.

Humidifier moistens the air so I don't think that will help. An air filter would be better. You need a machine with a HEPA filter for the .1 to .5 micron size particles, and activated charcoal for the even smaller ultrafine ones. But most air filters have activated charcoal packs that are too small to do much good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a humidifier when me or my cat have a cold. Didnt think that sounded right! So I need to call to have maintenance come. Not sure what to say

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 Tell maintenance just what you told us - your neighbors smoke, the smoke is getting into your apartment's bathroom. Could they please check the medicine cabinet and plumbing pipes for air infiltration and seal any gaps as necessary.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt a humidifier would help. Try an air purifier or filter. If you rent, you can complain to the landlord and he / she should look into the issue and resolve it (sealing cracks, etc) or at the very least inform those neighbors that their smoking is entering other units and causing a nuisance.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex-neighbors smoked cigs and pot. My kitchen reeked of pot constantly. At that point in
time I had no idea that odors could reach my side of the duplex and I asked my nephew to smell
the bowl of fruit I had on the kitchen table to see if he smelled it. He told me it was indeed the
ventilation, not the fruit.

Would you feel comfortable asking them to please smoke outside?
I would do that before I went to the landlord.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I did call the office. They will call the apt next door. If it's still bad they will do something. I had one of my 3 litter boxes in the bathroom and moved it somewhere else. I hope the smell does not get in the kitchen!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope the issue is resolved soon :) Maybe the landlord could implement a "no smoking inside apartments" rule or something.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am calling again tomorrow. The smell is awful. This time I will have the apt number so they know who to call.