Human metacam (meloxicam)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So we all know that metacam can cause problems for cats but my question is about the human drug meloxicam.

Someone I know was perscribed meloxicam for reducing inflamation from an arthritic injury. Is it safe for humans to take meloxicam or is it also bad for people?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Anti inflammatories like meloxicam can badly affect people with digestive issues like stomach ulcers, Inflammatory bowel disorders such as Crohn's etc. They are contra-indicated in those situations.
I'm not sure about kidney disorders in humans.. they're a contra-indication in cats for that.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think their doctor knows what they are doing since they would know the persons health history best.
Pretty much all medications have side effects but the positives usually far outweigh this.
Personally I've taken this medication short term for an arm injury but had no results from it.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was prescribed a few pills after my back injury. It isn't something I would want to take on a regular basis, but I would recommend they check with their pharmacist especially if it is something they will be using long-term or if they (or you) are worried. I think you are a good friend to be concerned. I didn't have an adverse reactions that I know of, but the medicine wasn't effective for me.

Last edited: