Hubby's job woes, but some light on the horizon

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
DH is a truck driver, and has been with his company for over 10 years.  Three weeks ago, they were sold to another company. In only 2 weeks, they lost 2000-3000 of their accounts, about 2/3 of their accounts. Very little freight has been arriving. It's bad. He's paid by the hour, and they were told 2 weeks ago that their hours will be cut. You can imagine what it's been like at home. Lots and lots of stress and headaches and penny-pinching.

He heard through the grapevine several times that his former boss (the guy yelled a lot, but he knew how to run the place, and they turned a profit) would like him to work with him at another company. How ironic--DH spent 10 years waiting for this guy to leave--now, he's willing to work for him again!

Anyway, DH left a message with them over the weekend. Today, they asked to see him after work. He's been offered a job. Problem: big pay cut, and he'll have to work 6 days a week. It's also much further away--when he first got his job down here, we lived up that way, but it still was a 14 mile drive; then, a 23-mile drive when we bought the house. Then, 3 years ago, he lucked out--the terminal moved down this way, only 10 miles away. Now, he'd have a 26-mile commute each way. Maybe that doesn't sound too bad, but when you've been driving for 12-15 hours each day, it wears on you. I hate to see him so worn out, but he needs a job.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of 
from here that it all works out OK. It's really hard at our ages (and don't take that the wrong way, please) to have to start over with a new job. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He got the job! I wish I could be more excited, but he's taking a big pay cut in order just to have a job--and having to work 6 days a week for that. However, at least he has a job, and I'm grateful for that. He ran into his former boss, and said that he's changed: much more relaxed , friendly, etc.. I was right: his behavior was due to the stress he was getting from his bosses, though you still shouldn't treat your employees that way--very unprofessional. He'll be DH's boss again! Funny how things end up, isn't it?

Things just got worse at his current job: yesterday, they announced they are getting rid of personal days, (and he's paid into that for 10 years, but doesn't get that money back), no more overtime (we'd lose $200-300 per week there), changing the health plan over to some unheard-of company that doesn't have doctors in the area, and a few other important things. They'll also have to do the dock work--they got rid of the dock workers. I honestly don't think this terminal will be around come January 2014.

terianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

DH is a truck driver, and has been with his company for over 10 years.  Three weeks ago, they were sold to another company. In only 2 weeks, they lost 2000-3000 of their accounts, about 2/3 of their accounts. Very little freight has been arriving. It's bad. He's paid by the hour, and they were told 2 weeks ago that their hours will be cut. You can imagine what it's been like at home. Lots and lots of stress and headaches and penny-pinching.

He heard through the grapevine several times that his former boss (the guy yelled a lot, but he knew how to run the place, and they turned a profit) would like him to work with him at another company. How ironic--DH spent 10 years waiting for this guy to leave--now, he's willing to work for him again!

Anyway, DH left a message with them over the weekend. Today, they asked to see him after work. He's been offered a job. Problem: big pay cut, and he'll have to work 6 days a week. It's also much further away--when he first got his job down here, we lived up that way, but it still was a 14 mile drive; then, a 23-mile drive when we bought the house. Then, 3 years ago, he lucked out--the terminal moved down this way, only 10 miles away. Now, he'd have a 26-mile commute each way. Maybe that doesn't sound too bad, but when you've been driving for 12-15 hours each day, it wears on you. I hate to see him so worn out, but he needs a job.
My heart and prayers go out to you MargeCat.  Me and my husband went through a really tough time after the massive layoffs in 2008.  He lost his job and was laid off.  Despite my prayers, they hubby moved from job to job for three years with the unstable economy, businesses here were still laying off and restructuring.  My hubby is an electro mechanical engineer and even with his job skills, the job market was saturated with people looking for work and taking jobs at a much lower pay scale because they needed the work too. 

Anyway, to make a long story short here...he finally found a good job, but he had to take a second shift position instead of daytime work and now works six days a week instead of the five.  We had to make some adjustments and changes to our lifestyle, but we're just so thankful he did finally find work at his normal pay scale with health benefits.

Like you, I worried so much about him because he felt so helpless and trying so hard, but I just kept encouraging him and telling him things would work out and we'd adjust no matter what and they did.  If your hubby's like mine, it hit him really hard being out of work, but I just kept giving him moral support and encouraging him all I could and things did eventually work out. 

I'll keep you both in my prayers too.  Wishing all the best for you both here.  *hugs*

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ouch, even though he has to take a pay cut and work an extra day, it sounds like he made the right choice to work with his old boss again.

I believe in karma, and there must be a reason that things have worked out as they have.  Perhaps there is a future promotion for your hubby at the new company.  His old boss obviously thought enough about your husband to invite him to work at the new company.

Funny how things work out.

Lots of vibes coming your families way!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear he got the job. I'm sorry it is going to make things more difficult for him in commute, pay, etc., but it soudns like things would have gotten much worse where he was.