How Will My Cats Handle Me Working?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats have always had me home with them, unless i was doing errands. how will they handle me working?

a lot is going to be changing for me, and i want to be sure my cats are happy. Elsa lost her original owner, and Kitty was used to having my mom and I to care for her. they had to deal with the loss of my mom, just like i did.

i worry they might feel abandoned now that i start working.:sniffle:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that they'll get used to the new routine quickly. They have each other for company and will probably mostly just sleep while you're gone.
that makes me feel a lot better. i remember getting upset with my mom for wanting to adopt Elsa. but shes been a great companion to me, and to Kitty. =)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that your cats will probably sleep when you are gone. Also they have each other for company. They will get used to the new routine with your job. I have 4 cats and while my hubby has had the same job for a long time I have been unemployed and gone back to work a few times. My cats adjusted to each change. Even though I have been at my current job for 6 years my schedule is not exactly the same every week. My cats are happy to see us when we get home. Casey greets me at the door and leads me to the couch so he can climb on me. On my days off if I am on the couch watching tv he is either on me or next to me. When my hubby goes back to work after the weekend and I have a rare Monday off his cat Apollo complains at me a lot about hubby being gone. He will also not greet hubby downstairs on Monday's when he gets home from work. The cats will settle into the new normal of your work routine just fine.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that your cats will probably sleep when you are gone. Also they have each other for company. They will get used to the new routine with your job. I have 4 cats and while my hubby has had the same job for a long time I have been unemployed and gone back to work a few times. My cats adjusted to each change. Even though I have been at my current job for 6 years my schedule is not exactly the same every week. My cats are happy to see us when we get home. Casey greets me at the door and leads me to the couch so he can climb on me. On my days off if I am on the couch watching tv he is either on me or next to me. When my hubby goes back to work after the weekend and I have a rare Monday off his cat Apollo complains at me a lot about hubby being gone. He will also not greet hubby downstairs on Monday's when he gets home from work. The cats will settle into the new normal of your work routine just fine.

awww! i love how strong a cats personality is. they are so smart. :flail:i love how he doesnt greet him.

thanks for replying this makes me feel better. =)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ITA that since they have each other they'll probably be OK.
it surprised me that cats actually bond when they arent related. Kitty mostly slaps elsa around, especially when she dares to trespass on HER tree. lol but she avoided wrestling with Elsa for a few days, when elsa got a dental done. Elsa was out of it and not eating for a couple of days. Kitty kept trying to check on her. And avoided fighting with her for a few days.

i once read that unrelated cats just tolerate each other.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think there being 2 cats, they should be fine with you being gone. However, expect to be given a lot of attention, meows and leg rubs, etc. when you do get home. They'll need to make up for lost time. :catlove:

Congrats on the job, I hope. I remember you posting that you were at a crossroads in your life, so I hope this is a positive change for you.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there being 2 cats, they should be fine with you being gone. However, expect to be given a lot of attention, meows and leg rubs, etc. when you do get home. They'll need to make up for lost time. :catlove:

Congrats on the job, I hope. I remember you posting that you were at a crossroads in your life, so I hope this is a positive change for you.
yes =) its been a hard year for me, hopefully this will bring good things.

thanks for the encouragement :redheartpump:

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i once read that unrelated cats just tolerate each other.
I don't think that's true across the board. My cats snuggle together, play together, groom each other, and express concern when something is wrong with one of the other cats - it seems like way more than just tolerating, and none of them are related.