How Well Do Different Breeds Do Together?

superfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,

As a brand new newbie I'm afraid I have a newbie question! I have been spending some time researching breeds for my first cat(s), and after visiting my first all breed show, I think I have whittled down my shortlist to two breeds, an Egyptian Mau and a Ragdoll.

Very different cats I know, and I am hoping that if I find the right breeders, I might be able to acquire a couple of whichever breed I finally decide upon - mainly to ensure my new pets will always have some company when I am out.

I've spoken to people who know a lot about one breed or the other, but not many who know both well - how sensible or otherwise might it it be to acquire one ragdoll and one mau? Given how different the energy levels are of each breed, is it a bad idea? It would certainly make my decision easier!

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Welcome to TCS! Ragdolls and Egyptian Maus are both lovely cats, but very different in energy level. Generally, it’s easiest to mix two breeds with similar energy level, so that way they can either sprint around the house or just laze in the sun together. Problems arise when the more active cat wants to play and the more sedentary cat wants to sleep, for example.

That being said, mixing breeds of different energy levels is possible. It’s easiest if you introduce them as kittens. You’ll need to spend time with each cat doing their preferred activity, for example, playing with a rod-and-feather toy with your Egyptian Mau and grooming your Ragdoll.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

superfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the reply. I do intend to introduce them as kittens, so perhaps it is possible. I'm more concerned the cats would be unsettled than my own desire to own both!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you looked into the Balinese? They’re also colorpointed cats, and longhairs, like Ragdolls (although not as big or fluffy) but are quite energetic so they would get on quite well with an EMau.

superfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you looked into the Balinese? They’re also colorpointed cats, and longhairs, like Ragdolls (although not as big or fluffy) but are quite energetic so they would get on quite well with an EMau.
thank you for the suggestion. I read that they are not really lap cats - not sure how true that is - and that they are susceptible to medical complications..?

superfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
looks like I have some more research to do on the Balinese, not sure how easily they are available in the uk, but they look gorgeous.