How to tell the difference between contractions and pushes??

leda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (6 months) is currently in labour.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you seeing what looks like ripples or waves down her sides? Those are contractions. This stage lasts about 24 hours. Her water may break, she is uncomfortable and may frequently changes positions, and also may purr constantly to soothe herself through the pain.

Pushing causes the cat to literally push and you will see her straining and her whiskers tend to move forward and backward. She is usually squatting. Once pushing, the kitten should be born in less than an hour.

What signs is your cat showing? Is it her first litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you seeing what looks like ripples or waves down her sides? Those are contractions. This stage lasts about 24 hours. Her water may break, she is uncomfortable and may frequently changes positions, and also may purr constantly to soothe herself through the pain.

Pushing causes the cat to literally push and you will see her straining and her whiskers tend to move forward and backward. She is usually squatting. Once pushing, the kitten should be born in less than an hour.

What signs is your cat showing? Is it her first litter?
It sounds like she's just having contractions. Purring constantly, ripples down her sides as you said. It is her first litter, she's 6-7 months old. I wouldn't be so on edge if this were not the case.

leda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes of course.

leda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She ended up having 5 kittens...so far. I am unsure if there is a sixth, but there is something lumpy in her tummy that i can feel one second and it disappears the next. Could this be another kitten? It's been a little over an hour since her last one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! Did she have another? If not, you are feeling her uterus contracting. It’s lumpy until it shrinks back to normal and heals over the next 7-10 days. She may bleed and spot a little too. It’s normal.

Are all kittens nursing well so far?

leda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She didn't end up having another. Can't feel the lump anymore. All kittens are doing really well! All are nursing great! She did everything the way she was supposed to and I am very proud of her. I was fully expecting one or most of the kittens not to make it as she is still so tiny herself, but I was pleasantly surprised that they all came out mewing and squirming and all latch pretty well :)

The only issue is is that she's being clingy with me - I have her on the bed with me and whenever I leave to go to the bathroom, get food, whatever, she follows me and cries at me. But as soon as I lay down next to her again, she calms down. This isn't a problem for me now, but I do work tomorrow so I'm a bit worried about leaving her for 8 hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful to hear that all is well! :)

She will be okay. Most cats are overly clingy for 24-48 hours until their hormones calm down. Just make sure she is in a closed room with food, water, and litter while you work so that she doesn’t move the kittens somewhere that you cannot find or get to.