How to stop kitten from climbing on my laptop

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My laptop is my 5-month-old kitten's favorite toy. She loves to bat at the screen and type. I can't even sign in to my email without resorting to tricks to get her away! I've lifted her off my keyboard 50 times in the last half-hour, seriously! She is not getting it, or the laptop is just too enticing.

Any ideas on how to train her out of this behavior? My friend suggested bitter apple, but I am not crazy about the idea of spraying gunk in/around my laptop.

Things I have tried:

1. Offering cuddles

2. Playing with her

3. Offering other toys

But she keeps returning to the laptop...

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find a way, I'd love to know also
. Actually, not sure there is a way, other then to put it away when not in use. My male loves mine also, and has since day 1 as a kitten, he's now 2. I have tried sticky tape all around it and he at first didn't like that, but soon got used to it and now could care less if he sticks to it. Anything to get to my laptop he will go through!.  You could try a can with some coins to shake every time he climbs on it. This method is used to train cats to keep off of or away from many things, and seems to work for most.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's funny.  Laptops are ALL cats' favorite toy, aren't they?  LOL  If I'm at my computer, it's guaranteed a cat will try to walk across the keyboard.  If I'm writing an email to a friend or family member who knows my cats, I just leave in the '''''''''''''''''''''''' or whatever the cat has 'typed' and say "Zoe (or whoever) says hi".  

One of my kitties was more interested than the others when he was younger.  Like yours, he was fascinated by the things moving on the screen, especially the cursor.  Moving him 50 times in a 1/2 hour sounds about right, lol.  But he just lost interest after awhile so hopefully yours will, too.  

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten loves the laptop because you give it a bunch of attention, and it smells strongly of you.  Your fingertips have lots of sweat glands in them and spread your unique smell all over the keys.

A polygraph machine (lie detector) uses sensors on the fingertips to detect the change in resistivity caused by sweat when a person is telling a lie, and your kitten is using that same sweat to combine your odor with hers.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hm. Laptops are a bit tough. Normally I'd suggest you try sticky-taping your laptop, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose. Not sure how much you can do there though, aside from just picking her up and putting her away every time. Once she grows bigger she won't fit as easily onto your laptop and you can train her not to get onto it just by blocking her (can't really do that when she can fit onto your palm). Mine sits on my keyboard sometimes, he likes the wavy pattern andouuuuuuuuuuu 0 3             378h0o           h h fh3u8f 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha, okay, thanks guys. I've never had a cat who paid my computer the slightest attention before, so this laptop-obsessed kitty took me b6y5 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

surprise (she says hi). If it's normal ]================================= (hi again) I won't worry too much and just keep moving her.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Haha, okay, thanks guys. I've never had a cat who paid my computer the slightest attention before, so this laptop-obsessed kitty took me b6y5 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

surprise (she says hi). If it's normal ]================================= (hi again) I won't worry too much and just keep moving her.
Hahaha!  See how interesting your emails will be when you let kitty help?!  

When I need to do serious work on my computer, I just shut the cats out of the room.  Otherwise, I just let them do their thing.  

doravera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two do it all the time, although I usually lift them straight off and tell them NO firmly.

I also make sure I put the lid down when I'm not using it.

They love the clock radio in the bedroom too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now Miss Chloe seems to enjoy watching TV on my laptop too. Her favorite show so far is The Walking Dead; she watched half the episode as seen below. The use of flashlights got her really excited :)

amnaahad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My laptop is my 5-month-old kitten's favorite toy. She loves to bat at the screen and type. I can't even sign in to my email without resorting to tricks to get her away! I've lifted her off my keyboard 50 times in the last half-hour, seriously! She is not getting it, or the laptop is just too enticing.

Any ideas on how to train her out of this behavior? My friend suggested bitter apple, but I am not crazy about the idea of spraying gunk in/around my laptop.

Things I have tried:

1. Offering cuddles

2. Playing with her

3. Offering other toys

But she keeps returning to the laptop...

i just rub my kittens head and put him to sleep. then i place him on his bed

amnaahad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just rub my kittens head and put him to sleep. then i place him on his bed
my kitten, cake, is 2 months old. whenever im working on the laptop, he attacks frm behind the screen. he tries to pull the screen waayyy back. i just grab him, give him kisses huggs and massage his head. aftr a struggle he doozes off to a nap.