How To Stop A Stray Cat From Drinking Dirty Water?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding a stray cat which is residing at our office area. We have food and water placed at our door step just for her but i notice that when she is tired of playing, she will just find the most available source of water...which is the puddle of dirty water that has rained on the previous day/hour on the asphalt flooring at our parking lot.. I was shocked when i saw her drinking that puddle of water when there was a clean water source right beside her! I immediately stopped her and ran to place the clean water bowl near her (she doesn't drink) but it wasn't the first time i caught her doing that! I guess the reason might be that the puddle of water is bigger as compared to my water bowl and also it catches her eye(she's looking straight at it) but how could i make her not drink that dirty water? Should i place more water bowls at various areas? It's not like i can stop rain from filling up the hole lol......omg!

And also please advise, what kind of dry & wet cat food should i buy?
What should i take note of when buying?

Sorry it's my first time actually taking care of a cat ^^

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My feral boys used to the same thing. I would have multiple boys of fresh water and they would drink the rain water that had puddled on the deck. I did find that they didn't like having their water bowl right by the food. You can try adding a few more bowls scattered around and see if it helps.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a different digestive system then ours, drinking nasty water will not hurt them like us, but it is still better to encourage her to drink clean. As for food, I buy whatever is on sale, I go through too much to be picky. I do buy a better dry though, just because I need to feed dry when i am gone and I want them to eat. And by better I mean 13.00 a bag instead of 9. Buy a well known brand, they ahae been tested and are usually safer. I wish you well!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try putting out the water in different containers and see if the kitty likes something else better. One of my neighbors has a big bucket of water she puts out for them. They really like that. I think it is more likely the water will be clean if there is a big container of it. I recently starting leaving water for my house cats out in a big square vase. With a small bowl, close to the ground dust and stuff get's into it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats have a different digestive system then ours, drinking nasty water will not hurt them like us, but it is still better to encourage her to drink clean. As for food, I buy whatever is on sale, I go through too much to be picky. I do buy a better dry though, just because I need to feed dry when i am gone and I want them to eat. And by better I mean 13.00 a bag instead of 9. Buy a well known brand, they ahae been tested and are usually safer. I wish you well!
I bought food that's on sale too! But since i'm not adopting it home or anything i just want the best food for her. I don't mind spending a lil' extra on food as long as she's fine and well i can take that extra mile for her :) She's so adorable! I'm now finding ways on how i can wash her without getting scratched by her or her running away while bathing! :blush:

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try putting out the water in different containers and see if the kitty likes something else better. One of my neighbors has a big bucket of water she puts out for them. They really like that. I think it is more likely the water will be clean if there is a big container of it. I recently starting leaving water for my house cats out in a big square vase. With a small bowl, close to the ground dust and stuff get's into it.
Ah...i was thinking maybe cats like running water better? I saw a running fountain online for pets and i was thinking whether i should get one...hmm

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Look at pioneer fountains on sale and get the stainless steel one. Cats love the running water. However you have to clean them at least weekly...see tube video, and change filter occasionally. With just one cat shouldn’t require too much.

Cats are funny with water. I have two pioneer fountains and a water bowel. When I clean the humidifier they go crazy for the standing water in the bottom of it...go figure.

But the VERY BEST thing you can do for her, if it’s a her, especially is to trap her and get her spayed...please. You can find help at rescues or no kill shelters with trapping and reduced cost on the vet.

She can’t say it but I will...thanks for caring.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Look at pioneer fountains on sale and get the stainless steel one. Cats love the running water. However you have to clean them at least weekly...see tube video, and change filter occasionally. With just one cat shouldn’t require too much.

Cats are funny with water. I have two pioneer fountains and a water bowel. When I clean the humidifier they go crazy for the standing water in the bottom of it...go figure.

But the VERY BEST thing you can do for her, if it’s a her, especially is to trap her and get her spayed...please. You can find help at rescues or no kill shelters with trapping and reduced cost on the vet.

She can’t say it but I will...thanks for caring.
Haha oh good! I will try getting one for her! Anyways she's has been ear tipped alr! :)