How To Socialize Stray With Indoor Cats

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there!
I have 2 indoor male cats (bonded pair) that are 2 years old. Recently there has been a stray cat coming to my place. She was super friendly and starving so I began feeding her. Today I was playing with her outside and I decided to put the kennel out and see her reaction. Within a few minutes she went in and I ended up taking her to the vet! She’s pretty healthy and isn’t chipped or anything. So now I have her closed off in the basement while my other cats are upstairs on the main level. One of my cats came down earlier and she hissed at him and he ran away. She’s seen my boys in the past and hissed at them through the screen door but shows no other sign of aggression. The vet said she’s approx. 5 years old and a complete sweetheart. I’ve put one of my cats blankets with her and put her towel with them so they can get used to scents. Any other suggestions on how to socialize them is appreciated! Thanks

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve already started very well! If she tested as healthy and you got her vetted then if she is spayed you should continue the scent swapping and slow introductions. Hissing is normal as they establish a relationship. That just shows that she is warning that she doesn’t know him well enough yet to get too close. If you want to continue as you are now with visits in her basement territory that will give her a feeling that she is on her own territory. After the introductions have been established you can either put her in a crate or carrier to see the other kitties territories, let her move into a space upstairs of her own as they get closer, put her into a large cage in their territory or slowly let her start exploring the other spaces in the house. While introductions are taking place you do need to supervise and maybe give reassurance to her but it sounds like you have already done a lot of the work. As things progress you could let them have some treats or meals together too. Play time together a little later can help establish a connection.
I am so glad you saw her and saved her. So many kitties struggle to survive outside. You did a great thing! You are a kitty hero! Please post as things progress. I’d love to hear how things are going for you all. :goldstar::clap2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw thank you!
I’ll try my best to introduce them like you said. And yes, she is spayed so I’ll continue with the scent swapping and hopefully she’ll cool down a bit.