How To Retrain 8 Year Old Cat To Use Litter?

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I’ve recently noticed that my cat is no longer peeing in the litter box. He poops in it just fine but pees on the carpet in my living room. I have taken him to the vet and he has nothing wrong medically. I have added 2 extra litter boxes but he still has not used them to pee. I’ve also cleaned the area SO MANY times to remove the odor but it still smells slightly. How Can I retrain him to use the box? I’ve never had this issue with any cat I’ve owned. Thanks!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have u switched litter recently? Have u tried putting a box where he is going at? Have things changed in your household around the time he stopped using the box?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not changed his litter, and I have put a box where he goes usually. We had a stray pregnant cat around and that started this but he is the only cat now. I think it became a habit so I need to know how to retrain him to use his box

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If u put a box where he is now going relatively then he should use it as opposed to the floor at least. Is he neutered?

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he’s neutered.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's marking his territory, try using vinegar to clean the spot as it will take away the odor to him. U could try a different litter, or just use the old squirt bottle method if he still is going in random places. U can also just randomly put him in the box to see if he goes or it helps. I had a boy who was just bad and used my tub (I think he got the idea bcz his brother gets expressed in the toilet). Well he did it forever and I would turn the water on on him or dump a cup of water on him when I saw him in there. Eventually he learned but it took quite a few times of catching him, and actually doing it. Is he only going in that one spot? Does he ever use the litter?

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is the only one that goes in the spot. The pregnant cat and her babies are kept outside in a heated storage room. He never comes in contact with them. He uses the litter to poop but just not pee. I confined him in the bathroom with his litter for a few days while I cleaned the carpet and got more litter boxes and he used the litter then to pee and poop. Letting him free roam, he does not use any of the boxes I have set up.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a definite territory issue. Put boxes in all the spots he goes, and try letting him out in only certain places at a time and each time he does good for awhile then expand. He smells them even if he can't see them. Maybe even letting him see might help but I doubt it.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured as much that it is territorial. My house has the dumbest layout, the only room with a door is the bathroom so I can only confine him there. It’s so stressful because I feel I have to be watching him every second that I am home unless he is confined, which I hate doing to him because he just cries and cries.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah that is no good. I know u aren't going to enjoy it but it seems the easiest solution for a means is locking him up when u can' watch him. If u leave put him up, and unfortunately when u aren't awake. Unless u can make a door or enclosure somehow? I hate locking them up too so I know how terrible it seems. If u have tried a box over every spot and he is still going that would be my next move. Maybe someone else will come along with a new suggestion though.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
U could always put a diaper on him. It's is t a picnic to do but u clean it either way!

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually have to put a diaper on my dog at night. Maybe I just need some better animals! Jk, I love them too much! I just did another round of natures miracle on the carpet and put a bigger box over Top of it. I Replaced his normal box with a larger one as well and have two smaller ones placed throughout the house. On a positive note, I did see a tiny bit of pee in his usual box after I finished making dinner so hopefully we are on the right track!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any progress is progress! I have 2 Manx kitties so I diaper them both. I know all to well what that's like. I might start doing my dog if he goes in my bed one more time! (He's extremely territorial and does it after anyone comes over so I keep him out now). Do u have a pic of the guy? It has absolutely nothing to do with his behavior, just love kitty pics! Yes, if u have to rearrange the furniture over all the spots if u can't cover them with a litter pan.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O he's simply adorable! He makes me want to just live all over him!

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He really is a sweetie. He cuddles my arm at night, sleeping in between my husband and I. I hope that he starts behaving better!

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guess who used the litter this morning!! He slept with me all night and then he got up to eat while I got ready for work and then he used his normal litter. I’m beyond happy! I’ve decided to leave him out for the day to see if he uses it throughout the day too.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay! I knew he could do it! See what happens and if he does go in the house while u are gone be sure to lock him up tomorrow. I'm so glad he is making progress! Keep updating

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been using his normal box consistently! He did pee in the box where he did a lot of his marking so I am going to keep it up for a few weeks. I am still working to get the urine smell out of the carpet though. It is barely noticeable now unless you get right next to the spot. Before, you could smell I all throughout the house!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:yess::banana1::woo::woohoo:
Have u tried vinegar mixed with water? If not, spray it on, then put baking soda over it and let it dry like that. Once it does vaccume it up. Had to do that with my bed. I knew he could do it!