How To Prevent A Cat From Destroying The Foam Insulation Lining Tub For Winter House

LindaP2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently I'm taking care of 11 cats. Four inside, Two on my front porch who goes in the garage in the winter, one in a tub in front of the garage out of the wind and four on the back deck that we have enclosed for them. The deck can't be heated so I have numerous tubs converted into houses back there for them. I've lined them with either the Styrofoam insulation or the foil with air pockets insulation sheets. My problem is one of the cats on the back deck is destroying the the insulation I've lined the tubs with. It doesn't matter if it's the foam or foil she tears it apart, basically making a mess and them useless. At first I thought it was coons or opossums as they will go into the deck as well. But, I caught the cat doing it.
Does anyone have any idea how I can stop her from doing this? Hopefully I can get her to stop before winter.

Thanks for any suggestions I can get!!
Linda

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about covering the insulation with blankets? I use the foil insulation and often drape baby blankets over the foil insulation and secure with duct tape.
You also might try spraying with Comfort Zone spray. I wonder if she has just found a surface that she likes to scratch or is she feeling insecure and marking them or just having fun!

How wonderful that you care for so many cats. It is a hard job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LindaP2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shadowrescue,
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll try it and see if it works. I think I'd like to find some wool blankets for the added heat. I had one here but it totally fell apart, so I'll have to look for some more.
I think she is just enjoying herself, she sure goes to town on tearing them up. They all seem to be content with they're lot. One of the front porch cats, Noti (shes a Manx and so she has just a stubby tail, her full name is Notaile) does the same thing, but fortunately her box in the garage is one of those so called heated boxes. When I was putting the tubs together I had the insulation stored in the garage and I caught her ripping it all up, having a glorious time at it too!
Love my cats, all were strays or baby's of strays and they range from one year old, the one in front of the garage, up to 23-24 years old, my old man in the house.
Thanks again for the suggestion,
Linda

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have also attached the self warming pads on the sides with duct tape. They are a bit thicker than baby blankets and if the cats gets up close to them, they do provide a bit of warmth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LindaP2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This too is a good idea, except that it may be a little more than I can afford on a limited income and supporting all these crazy cats! But you got me thinking about the mylar survival blankets. Amazon sells a 52"x 84" blanket for less than $5.00. That would line a lot of tubs. I could just cover it with some material, like the wool I was thinking about above or fleese. If I used this in conjunction with the insulation it would give an additional layer of protection.
Actually I think this would be a homemade version of these warming pads they sell.
Thanks for the suggestion, these are getting me thinking!!
Linda