How to prepare for the first night with a newly adopted 5-month old kitten?

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am getting ready to bring home a 5-month old kitten and am worried about the first night, and the first few days. He had a persistent "cat cold" which is viral, and associated dental issues (juvenile gingivitis) and eye infections, so the rescue want him to be "the only child". He may experience flare ups of the virus due to stress, such as moving. Currently he is in a cage (not a room) at the rescue, so I guess he's used to sleeping alone (though there are cats around him). He is the sweetest little angel. I can adopt him Thursday evening (6-7pm) but perhaps Friday noon would be better, so that he has more daytime at home before the night. I read that a "sanctuary room" would be ideal, but I want to be around him, not just close him in a room. I have a small house. It has 2 storeys, but the spare bedrooms are small 8x8ft and 8x9 ft, so I don't really spend time in them. I spend most of my time downstairs - but there's no doors there anywhere, so I could not keep him contained there with me. I also don't know where to put the litter boxes, I need one on each floor. I can put one box in the spare bedroom and I'll have to figure out something for the downstairs, as there is no good space anywhere (small house!). Maybe in one of those ventilated furniture-like cabinet enclosures? I don't know. Maybe I don't have enough space for a cat after all! I think the litter boxes placement is important. And where to keep him for the first night or few nights, and during the day. This shouldn't be this hard but it is. Looking at what I just wrote makes me think that maybe this is not a good decision. I don't really believe in having just one cat, especially this young, and I don't even have space for 1 cat (well I have space for the cat, just not the litter boxes on every floor). What to do?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like that will be tough on you and the cat. And of course,worry if he's going to be ok. Can you volunteer or foster?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Mingo when he was 5 months old, and I just let him go wherever he wanted, but I can't tell if you have other cats, too. If you do, close them up in your bedroom (with a litter pan) while the newbie is downstairs with you (and another litter pan). I've always dropped a new cat in the litter pan at first so they knew where it is. At night, switch the setup with the other cats downstairs and the new cat in the bedroom with you. This should get the new cat acclimated in a week or two, and his illness should be gone by then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @ DreamerRose DreamerRose I have no other animals or people living with me. It is an "apartment-size" house. If I have a guest staying over night, it is challenging with one bathroom and spare rooms that don't fit a bed! Anyways, this little boy is supposed to be adopted as the only cat given his viral cat cold/eye infections history - whenever he has a flare up in the future he will become contagious to other cats. That's what I was told. The person who lived in my house before me, had a cat (but judging by openings in the back door, which I had since replaced, that cat was an outdoor/indoor cat), so one cat should be do-able in my small space if only I can figure out the litter box placement. I have an unfinished basement, which is my laundry and storage space, but I don't know if it is good place for a litter box. Maybe, but if I do to a gradual house introduction to him so that he knows the litter box is in a spare room on the 2nd floor and in the basement, it could work. I guess I'll have to figure it out as I go as I'm noticing it is impossible to plan and control everything in advance.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your litter box placement is fine, but be sure to show him where they are. He will take it from there. I have two litter pans in the basement, and both my cats will trot down there to relieve themselves. You're going to be fine; don't worry.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C ChiarinaL Hey! Welcome. My friend adopted a kitten under a similar circumstance years ago and her cat is just fine. While her cat was small she put a temporary litter box in each room for litter training. She spent a few days "incubating" her cat in her bedroom, reading and watching TV on her laptop and then let her have run of the house. You'll have to watch to see if your kitten knows stairs, and maybe encourage stair usage.

If you can provide a cozy box, it's shown to help lower cat stress and help with recovery.

For me I did gradual as well. Access to one room, then the top floor, then two floor than basement as well (unfinished). We have 3 cats in a small townhouse. One litter in the basement, one small one on the main level in a 'end table' from Wayfair (search litter box cover). And two upstairs.

You might not need a litter on the main floor while he's young, but be prepared that you'll need one there when he's a senior cat and his mobility becomes more limited.

There are loads of ways that people sneek cat boxes into smaller spaces. Look up DIY hide cat litter for inspiration!

16 Clever Ways to Hide the Litter Box

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My home is under 1000 sq ft and I have two cats. I have a litter box in a DIY cabinet in our living room. Not ideal, but it's central. We just got a new kitten so we have another box in our spare room/office. We "read" our kitten. Some kittens are just really confident and show no signs of fear/hesitation when exploring. Ours just immediately explored every nook and cranny and was right at home. She sleeps in the spare room though. During the day we're able to keep a pretty close eye on her but not at night. So if you want to err on the side of caution, start the kitten in a smaller room and then test the waters. If nothing else, he might like a "home base" type room where he can go if something spooks him or he just wants some quiet time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @ A Alldara ! These are great ideas in that article! And thank you @ K Kris107 ! My place is about 900 sq feet (both floors + another 450 of the unfinished basement!), so I feel better now :) I wish I could have everything ready for when I bring him home, but I don't think I can. To order a furniture cover for the litter box will take at least a week! I think I found one that is big enough and looks nice and has decent reviews. So far I have ordered and received a nice scratching post and a small scratcher tree with a hammock for sleeping. I also have 2 other scratchers - another small vertical with 3 different textures and a horizontal one that's made of cardboard. I am also looking at large cat trees because he is 5 months (maybe 6 by now), so will need a lot of exercise, but can't decide yet. The good ones are very expensive ($300 or so) and some of the nice ones (by the cat king) don't ship to Canada. I think I have enough things to to start, toys, bed, food/water bowls, an open litter box though I should get another one or two. I looked at the stainless steel ones online, I'd have to order them because they are not sold in any of the pet stores here. And I kept the cardboard boxes from the scratchers, since I know that cats love them more than any toys! I have no idea what to expect. He is a rescue that was found abandoned at quite a busy intersection in my city! By now has been exposed to many people, which is good socialization - better than what I could've given him. When I saw him on the weekend, he was the sweetest and friendliest little guy. Melted my heart right on the spot! He was reserved for someone then, so I could not believe my eyes when that fell through and he became available. I'll get to meet him properly tomorrow and then possibly take him home or take a night to think about it because I worry about adopting just one. I guess in the future, I could adopt another one that has been exposed to the same virus, so that I don't put a "healthy" cat at risk. I don't know about these viruses, I mean, many people adopt cats from "backyard breeders" that may have been exposed to various viruses but they just don't know. Here, because I am adopting from the humane society, they disclose everything so you know exactly the diseases/conditions that the animal had and what they mean for the future - there are 3 waivers I need to sign in his case (one related to the virus, one to the eye infections, and one to the juvenile gingivitis). I'm afraid he already has my heart though, so if I don't adopt him it's only because I think somone else can give him a better home/ more fun life! And he looks like "Simba"! A sweet little orange tabby boy! That's not how the shelter named him though, but it would fit him so well!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C ChiarinaL Oh you've got tons more space than you think! I've got 3 cats in just a bit bigger space than you 😸

I'm also Canadian. I found Wayfair has a good brand of trees called FeandRea. My 3 boys have been rough on it for two years and it's in good shape. The one we got from Amazon got woobly in a few months. Walmart also has one that looks like a dog house on 3 posts which I've had for over 10 years and have just re-sisaled the posts.

This individual shows many ideas of ways to make small spaces more cat friendly with renter friendly products to go UP! I don't agree with all he says, but I take what I like from what he uses and leave the rest.
its okay not to have everything perfectly in order. It will give him space to re-explore later.

ps. If it's feline herpes virus that is causing the flare ups, you can discuss adding a second cat later if you're comfortable with this as in most cities 90% of cats have this virus anyways. Talk with your vet once you get him home if you're interested in that!

pps. If you're in a larger city, and have a cat-only vet, I'll definitely recommend that to keep his stress low when off to the vet 😸