How To Prepare And Aftercare: Neuter

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know dozens of cats get neutered every day, but I’ve never personally had to deal with caring for a cat after their neuter.

Benji is my first kitten and I’ve done loads of research on him. Today I am booking his neuter which will happen either next month or very late this month. I’m wondering, is there anything I need to know and how was your personal experience?

Benji’s super fiesty and do you think he’ll get annoyed if he has a cone on? I have a lot of questions but it would be great to hear from others who have gotten cats neutered.

This isn’t really for Health, as it’s not a problem but just me looking for advice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
True, dozens of cats get neutered each day, but it is totally different when it's our baby having the procedure, so I understand you looking for advice. :catlove:

Neutering males is a much less invasive procedure than spaying females, so I'm not even sure if Benji will leave the vet with a cone or not.

Until some more members post their comments, I'll post links to a couple articles that may be helpful.
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is he?

Generally, the younger the quicker their recovery period. My boys were neutered very young (@ 2 pounds so between 8 and 10 weeks). They were bouncy and back to normal within 24 hours. The bigger factor for us was Link being grumpy from his pain medications. The surgery for boys is incredibly quick and very minimal assuming testicles have dropped.

If your vet wants him to wear a cone you may want to buy an inflatable one now so you have it on hand. The lower profile seems to make cats happier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks to both! Benji will be around five months when he gets fixed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no reason to put a cone on a male, unless he licks his incision so much that he injures himself (and if he's not prone to obsessive licking now he probably won't start). It's really a very simple procedure for males; he'll be right back to normal after the anesthetic wears off. He might be a little careful about sitting down for a couple days but at his age probably not.