How To Move With My Feral Cat

trish985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all...I have been caring for 2 feral cats for 6 years. They are brothers who stayed with me after I was able to catch their 2 other siblings and find homes for them. Mom has been gone for 5 years. All have been fixed/neutered. 2 months ago one of them vanished..now I have just the 1 cat. He never comes in my home...has lived on my front porch in a heated house, with a camera inside.I'm definitely taking him with me to the new house, but am not sure what to do about releasing him when we get there. I've had the carrier outside for weeks, feeding him inside it, so caging him won't be an issue...but I'm terrified he'll just run away and get lost once he's released. I would appreciate any advice!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello T trish985 , welcome to TCS! :wave3:

Thank you for taking care of the feral cats and for finding homes for them :clapcat:

So sorry to hear that one of them went missing and hope he'll return soon. As for the remaining one, can you prepare s safe room for him in your new house before moving in? At this moment, soak up as much scent of him as possible and bring those blankets and towels and place them in the safe room.
Also, if he has a litter box now, bring some old litter over. If he does not have a litter box, scoop whatever soil/leaves from where he poo and pee and bring those over.

Reason for doing that is to keep him indoors in the new house. It's safer for him indoors than outdoors and chances of him staying indoor the new house is greater.
He might or definitely run away and disappear if you leave him outdoors at the new area as the place and surroundings are new to him and there might be other predators around including humans that does not like cats.

So when you move, upon reaching the new house, place him inside the safe room. Make sure that there are no escape route. It takes time to get him condition to staying indoors but it's worth it. He'll live a better life than living outdoors. PLEASE don't release him outdoors.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently moved with 3 feral cats. I had been caring for them on my deck for years. I decided that when I moved I was going to keep them inside only. I had them inside my old home for 2 months before the big move. I had a spare bedroom that I completely removed all furniture. I placed some of their furniture from outside as well as a few cat trees. I was careful to block under the furniture so they couldn't hide. I needed them out in the open for them to get used to life inside as well as life with humans.

After 6 weeks inside, I brought a mobile vet to give them all shots and test for FIV and FELV. I had neutered them all years ago. All were healthy!

We moved 5 months ago today! In my new home I had a sun room that was off the main living area. It had windows on 3 sides and then glass doors that closed. This was the location I chose for them. They could look outside all the time and I could keep the doors closed to keep them from my other 3 cats.

I took things very slowly. The feral cats were all used to me and all at different levels of socialization. Only one could I pick up. The others I could pet, but not pick up. They loved the new space. I provided bird feeders outside for them to watch nature. They loved it.

After 2 months at the new home, I started doing some intros with my other cats. I have taken this slowly. At first I would put my other cats away and allow the feral boys time to explore. I then allowed one of my resident cats to go into the sun room for a visit. We have had our ups and downs along the way. Yet now at the 5 month mark, the door to the sun room is open 24/7 except for meal time. The cats are still having some issues getting along, but there are no all out fights. Just chasing and some hissing. I know it will take time.

Of my 6 cats, 5 were former ferals. I had previously brought 2 others into the house so I knew it could be done. It just takes lots of time and patience. We here on TCS are her to help you!

If you do find that you want to release him back outside at your new place, it is necessary to confine the cat for 3-6 weeks until he acclimates to the new area. If you just let him outside, he will try his best to return to his former territory even if it is very far away. You can confine him in a safe room that is cat proofed ( bed picked up off the floor or flat on the ground and all large furniture blocked from underneath and behind). Also be careful of closets. Some people choose to keep them in a large dog cage or two cages zip tied together. You can also purchase a cat cage that is tall.

Thank you for caring for this sweet one. I really hope the move will work out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trish985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to keep him outside at the new house...I have a dog who will not tolerate him. Besides...he has never come in the house, shows no interest in coming in. Someone must have moved and let the cats back outside?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a spare room or garage where he could stay? Leaving him outside in a cage or crate would be very hard. My feral cats did not show interest in coming inside either. I just made the decision that I could no longer keep them outside after my move. It was just too dangerous.

I had a large dog too. She adjusted to all 6 cats with proper training. Yet, if you need to have him live outside, could you build him a catio? This way he is safe in your yard. If not, you still MUST not let him go immediately. He needs the 3-6 weeks of adjustment.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have to keep him outside at the new house...I have a dog who will not tolerate him. Besides...he has never come in the house, shows no interest in coming in. Someone must have moved and let the cats back outside?
Build a catio for him at the safe room so that he's safe from the outside and your dog and still can be 'outside' but inside?