How To Make A Feral Kitten Purr?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Friends,

I have been feeding a feral cat and its kitten. I am trying to tame the kitten. I can touch it for a few seconds. Then it rolls on its back and pushes my hand away with its legs. Sometimes it lightly bites on my fingers. Today the kitten rubbed its body and head against my legs. It looks like that the kitten trust me but it is still suspicious of my hands and doesn't like to be touched. If the mother cat is away then it tries to sleep near me. I feed it with my hands.

When does a kitten start to purr? How can I make it less fearful of my hand. It doesn't like the petting on its head.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten is quite comfortable around people but it still doesn't like to be put. I saw a video of a Vet where she says that you should put a kitten on your lap and pet it. She said that you can hold it by its scruff if it is not sitting on your lap. I tried it but the kitten was not comfortable and it start kicking my hand. Here is the link of that video.

The only way the kitten stays on my lap is if I keep feeding it treats.

I have read that some cats just don't like to be pet. Should I stop trying and let the cat decide on its own?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think its 3 or 4-month-old.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the kitten living outside still? Or have you brought it into your home?

I think it will be more difficult to tame, the older it gets. And, in fact, already it has probably passed the easy socializing age.

Here's an article on Handling Feral Cats
And Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat?

Also, are you able to get the mama cat spayed? If not, she'll be pregnant again soon. :sigh:

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten is showing every sign of socializing except it doesn't like to be pet. It plays with me, eats food out of my hand, sleeps near me. It also rubs its head and body on my legs. It tolerates petting for a few seconds but then moves away.

Some people say that a lot of cats don't enjoy petting and they are not lap cats.

The mother is already pregnant. I think the kitten is male. I am going to take it to the vet in a few days. It lives outside my house as I can't take it inside. Someone here had told me that you can release a feral cat after 24 hours of its operation. So I will keep the kitten in the carrier for 24 hours and the release it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the vet visit to get him neutered? That will definitely help with the feral cat population in your area.

That's unfortunate, but not surprising, that the mama is pregnant again. :( Multiple pregnancies are hard on their bodies. Hopefully once these kittens are born and weaned, you'll be able to catch/trap her and get her spayed.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though the kitten is already well on his way to being fully socialized and adoptable since you can handle him. Just to clarify, are you going to keep him inside your apartment for the day after his neuter? I assume you didn't mean you'll keep him confined in the carrier outside-that's not a safe situation. Instead of keeping him confined in the carrier, can you put him in your bathroom or some other small room? He'll need room to move around, use litter box, eat, etc.

Instead of releasing him back outside, I hope you can find him a home. It wouldnt take long for someone else to finish socializing him, and life would be so much easier for him. It's great that you're getting him neutered and are caring for him!

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will keep him inside for 24 hours.

Someone on this site told me that he keeps the feral cat inside the carrier for 24 hours and then he releases the cat. He leaves the carrier in his car for 24 hours.

People don't adopt feral cats here. You can find a feral cat outside every house here. They prefer Persian or Siamese cats as indoor pets. So it is difficult to find this kitten a home. He can stay outside my house.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes people may keep a feral cat in a Humane Trap for 24 hours, either the night before its surgery once trapped, or afterwards while recovering. This is because they are unable to handle the cat.. But a pet carrier is just too tiny. Your kitten would likely be panicked and crying enclosed in such a small space. Thanks for your willingness to keep him inside for a day. I cared for a feral cat outside on my porch for four and a half years before he passed, and many people care for feral cat colonies outside, so it's a workable option. Since he's neutered, and you are feeding him daily, and you can handle him if you need to get him back to a vet because of illness or injury, he can lead a very good life outdoors. If you have winter in your area, folks here can give you some ideas about providing a warm pet shelter on your porch or property. Thanks again for taking care of this kitten. Unneutered male tom cats have a very short life span due to roaming and fighting over territory and mates. You are giving him a wonderful life now. Regarding your question about purring, my bet is that in a few months you'll be able to pet him and he will purr because he knows you're the one who cares for him.