How To Make A Cat Scratch?

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know most people don't want their cats to scratch but this one here never scratches. Well she used to to years ago, ruined my furniture, but then kind of gave up. It's not that she has no opportunity, the couch is still there, theres some scratch pads around the house.
My other cat uses them and this one can observe her but she just doesnt.
As a result her nails are growing big and dont get off. I'm going to the vet tomorrow to have them cut by a helper since she wont really let me do this plus I'm afraid due to the size. They might eventually grow into the foot due to the curve.
So whats a good way to make them scratch? I tried catnip on the pads but nothing happened

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? She could have an undetected illness or it could be age. You may want to talk to your vet about it and have blood test done. My recently passed Maine Coon went through this. He started getting ingrown toe nails that I had to keep trimming. I just attributed it to old age as he was around 15. It turned out to be cancer. Knowing what I know now I would start doing some investigating especially if she is older.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I know most people don't want their cats to scratch but this one here never scratches. Well she used to to years ago, ruined my furniture, but then kind of gave up. It's not that she has no opportunity, the couch is still there, theres some scratch pads around the house.
My other cat uses them and this one can observe her but she just doesnt.
As a result her nails are growing big and dont get off. I'm going to the vet tomorrow to have them cut by a helper since she wont really let me do this plus I'm afraid due to the size. They might eventually grow into the foot due to the curve.
So whats a good way to make them scratch? I tried catnip on the pads but nothing happened
Have you tried different types and textures of scratchers? Horizontal, vertical, and incline in cardboard and sisal rope?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, the cat is about 5 or 6 other wise doing fine. She was a feral that I took in after a few years of living in my garden. Maybe she never learned the importance of scratching being outside and with the nails wearing off all the time.
I have a sisal S shaped scratcher and a cardboard thing here. I can try to fix that cardboard thing vertically, that's an idea,