How to help mumma cat lactate more

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Foster mumma here, I have 4 x 13 day old kittens and mum. One of the kittens is around 128g, and the rest around the 220g mark.

At one point I thought little one felt cold but wasn't sure as mum had been licking him. They are in a pen with a heat pad and a warmie as well as mum, however I thought I'd take his temp to be on the safe side. So I grabbed my trusty rectal thermometer, same that is used by the vets....however little ones...erm butthole...is so small, that I really don't want to poke my thermometer up his bum and cause damage.

Does anyone have any other equipment that they swear by for taking the temps of little kittens? Please let me know!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Foster mum here! I have a mum and her 4 babies, 13 days old, and babies aren't really gaining and this is due to mum not really having any milk. One of the babies is 129g :(

I've taken away dry biscuits, put down water and cat milk, added extra water to her wet food....are there any other suggestions anyone has please?

Thank you :)

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd say supplement the feeding with kitten formula. Whatever fix you find, it likely won't be instant, and ideally the kittens will need this extra help sooner.

Momma is eating kitten food, right? I'd leave the kibble too, they are more calorie dense, and extra food probably helps (unless she's showing signs of dehydration or something)

Also good idea to talk to a vet, to make sure she doesn't have mastitis or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, definitely begin supplementing the kittens with formula and a syringe. Order Miracle Nipples on Amazon. They are most like mom’s. Supplement every 2-3 hours initially. The kittens need to gain.

Thank you for fostering! Please keep us posted!

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies! So I'm top up feeding with kitten milk and probiotics (as a few babies have diarrhea too). I use miracle nipples and syringe feed but they fight me at every turn! 😭

Mumma is really good and attentive, and the babies are constantly suckling....just no milk!

sventicles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By day 12, they should be approaching tripling their birth weight. If they are fighting and not gaining, and supplements are not resulting in approaching those numbers, you have to take them to a vet, unfortunately.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens with a mom tend to fight hand feeding, but just keep trying. The vet cannot do much if they are not sick; however, mom might need looking at if she’s not producing enough milk. Vet may be able to give mom a vitamin shot and an appetite stimulant, both of which will help her.

Keep us posted! A Ashleigh1989

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could use any other thermometer for example in thecarmpit armpit. Just remember temp on the armpit is 3F or 1c lower than in the bum.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Take the temperature under the kitten’s arm and add 2 degrees.

On another note, this kitten needs supplementing with kitten formula to help it catch up. Have you tried this yet?

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take the temperature under the kitten’s arm and add 2 degrees.

On another note, this kitten needs supplementing with kitten formula to help it catch up. Have you tried this yet?
Hi!

Yes I've taken the two smallest away and popped in an incubator for now, am supplementing with kitten formula, a littleo Clostrum and probiotics (to help with the diarrhea).

They seem to take to the miracle nipple teat whilst away from mum but am hoping this isn't a permanent fixture

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A Ashleigh1989

See my post #8:

“…mom might need looking at if she’s not producing enough milk. Vet may be able to give mom a vitamin shot and an appetite stimulant, both of which will help her.”

I hope mom gets help so she can nurse her kittens once they are able.

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Mum is eating- I finally found a food she likes and I'm adding extra water to it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear! I was worried when you mentioned she wasn’t eating much or producing much milk. Glad things are on the upswing now!