How To Have A Kitten

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to have a kitten, but everyone suggests spaying/neutering. How can I have kittens? I dont see any feral kitten. Maybe they are in isolated places with their mothers.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any animal shelters in India where you could adopt a kitten?

You have mentioned a lot of feral cats in your area. You ordered cat food, right? Eventually, if you put food out at regular times of day, a weaned kitten young enough to be socialized will wander up for food. I wouldn't leave food out 24/7 though, or you're likely to end up feeding dozens of cats. Then you'll see why people recommend spaying and neutering. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there any animal shelters in India where you could adopt a kitten?

You have mentioned a lot of feral cats in your area. You ordered cat food, right? Eventually, if you put food out at regular times of day, a weaned kitten young enough to be socialized will wander up for food. I wouldn't leave food out 24/7 though, or you're likely to end up feeding dozens of cats. Then you'll see why people recommend spaying and neutering. ;)
I have never seen a feral kitten, I will be going to the shelter tomorrow, but will keeping food bring a kitten to it?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think going to a shelter is a good idea for you. You'll hopefully get a socialized house cat that you don't have to try to tame. They probably also give kittens immunizations, worming and spay/neuter in India before adoption, so that saves you money from paying those vet bills.

If you put food outside for feral cats, eventually a kitten (or a litter of siblings) will show up. After the mother cat is through nursing, she rejects them and treats them like any other cat (not like family), so they're on their own around 8-12 weeks to find their own food. A mother cat might start eating your food and her kittens would start to follow her to the safe food source.

Most ferals kittens don't live very long. They get attacked and killed by larger prey animals.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
India has a lot of feral dogs, so feral kittens do not survive :(. I have heard a lot of members here who are from India say that it's very hard for them to find homes for the kittens if their cat has kittens, and they end up keeping them all. So maybe you'd be able to find someone who has kittens and get one from them? I don't know what less caring people do. Kill the kittens or dump them outside for the stray dogs, I suppose.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most of the ferals end up living in the barns of the farms around here. I hardly ever see any feral cats in our woods. I think they go to the barns because it gets so cold in NY in the winter, and maybe the barns give them protection from coyotes. We used to have a black feral cat in the woods when I was a kid, I tried to sneak it some food, but my dad yelled at me and took the food away from it. That cat looked like Maggie, so she is probably a descendant.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
R Ram Keswani Are you in India?

Animal Aid have animal rescue centers in Rajasthan. Maybe you could contact them and offer to adopt a feral kitten? They probably need volunteers to help them rescue the street animals. You could learn so much helping an organisation like that.

Animal Aid Unlimited – Hospital, rescue center and sanctuary for street animals in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. Volunteers and visitors welcome!

There is also The Indian Blue Cross.

Blue Cross of India - Animal Rescue, Hospital, Shelter & ABC-Rabies

Lots of other rescue groups and shelters here.

10 Wonderful Shelters Around India That Are Giving Animals The World They Deserve

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never seen a feral kitten, I will be going to the shelter tomorrow, but will keeping food bring a kitten to it?
If you live in a place where rabies is common and if you have no experience with ferals, it's probably not a good idea to try and get a wild kitten. It's probably better to contact a shelter.

Last edited: