How To Give Prescription Clomicalm When Cat Is Refusing To Take It

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another solution is a pill gun. Sometimes it’s easier to get the pill to the back of the throat that way.

I think you should stop feeling guilty about what you are doing. You are trying to help her. I think once she gets the calming medicine, pilling will become less of an issue because she’ll be calmer (and you will be better at it).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: We tried opening her mouth based on the Youtube videos we watched, her jaw is too strong to get her mouth to open (beefy cat with large head) and she went crazy and is now mad at us. Tried putting the pill in tuna, soft food. Not sure what kind of cheese to roll it in? I do not think we will be able to give her that med.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to your vet about the difficulty you're having? Maybe they could make some suggestions, or give you a demo of how they would handle pilling her.

I read somewhere that if you pulverize the pill and mix it into something sticky and spread it on the nose, they'll automatically lick it off. This did not work for me, but might be worth a try if getting her mouth open is the problem?

Any soft cheese should be malleable at room temperature...something like monterey jack, mild cheddar, colby, etc. If she's sampled cheese before, pick something you know she likes.

If there's no way that this is happening, is there any alternative pill that might smell more acceptable to her? Again, I'd ask your vet for help here.