How to give a nasty tasting medicine

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my cat's vomiting got worse and our vet recommended a medicine called VetGastril - basically, it's a nasty tasting gel/liquid that is supposed to be squirted into my cat's mouth with a syringe. It's amazing for protection of stomach mucosa and healing any wounds, regulating gastric acids. But administering it to my cat is traumatic as hell.

I try to give it in small doses but he starts foaming at the mouth, drooling and running away. It must taste awful. I tried mixing it with the sauce that wet food comes in, the one that he usually enjoys licking, but it doesn't minimize the foaming and drooling. Any other ideas how to make it more tolerable?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cat's vomiting got worse and our vet recommended a medicine called VetGastril - basically, it's a nasty tasting gel/liquid that is supposed to be squirted into my cat's mouth with a syringe. It's amazing for protection of stomach mucosa and healing any wounds, regulating gastric acids. But administering it to my cat is traumatic as hell.

I try to give it in small doses but he starts foaming at the mouth, drooling and running away. It must taste awful. I tried mixing it with the sauce that wet food comes in, the one that he usually enjoys licking, but it doesn't minimize the foaming and drooling. Any other ideas how to make it more tolerable?
Depending on the amount of the dose, you could purchase empty gel capsules, fill with the medicine, and give it like a pill. I did that when giving Metronidazole liquid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depending on the amount of the dose, you could purchase empty gel capsules, fill with the medicine, and give it like a pill. I did that when giving Metronidazole liquid.

Oh ok, didn't know there was an option like that - is there any risk that the pill will go to the wrong place and for the cat to choke/suffocate? Or that the pill will get stuck? The dose is 1 ml twice a day

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A ml is too much for a capsule. Does the medicine come in pill form?
No, only in liquid form unfortunately :/ and the vet said this is one of the best on the market for digestion issues, but it only comes as this dreadful liquid. What do you think about attaching something to the top of the syringe and getting it directly into his thoat in small doses, so as little as possible reaches his taste buds?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you tried administering only half of it at once, but still mixing it in with whatever you are currently trying it with. If he will take it with the lesser amount, then you can give a 'second dosage' a couple of minutes later.

Also, try baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 which doesn't contain any onions, etc.), human canned tuna or chicken in water (the 'juice' with the meds, then a piece of the tuna or chicken after each half dose), Tiki Cat Mousse, and/or any of the following lickable treats: Wholehearted, Applaws, Vitakraft, Tiki Cat Stix. Just give enough of any of them to help mask the taste and ensure he finishes the 2 split doses. All of the above worked for Feeby when she was taking meds that made her foam/drool/gag/cough when given 'straight' from a syringe.

If that doesn't work, have you asked if the med can be compounded by a pharmacy into another form or hidden in some sort of flavoring? It would cost more, but in the end if it were to work, it is worth it!

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Have you tried administering only half of it at once, but still mixing it in with whatever you are currently trying it with. If he will take it with the lesser amount, then you can give a 'second dosage' a couple of minutes later.

Also, try baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 which doesn't contain any onions, etc.), human canned tuna or chicken in water (the 'juice' with the meds, then a piece of the tuna or chicken after each half dose), Tiki Cat Mousse, and/or any of the following lickable treats: Wholehearted, Applaws, Vitakraft, Tiki Cat Stix. Just give enough of any of them to help mask the taste and ensure he finishes the 2 split doses. All of the above worked for Feeby when she was taking meds that made her foam/drool/gag/cough when given 'straight' from a syringe.

If that doesn't work, have you asked if the med can be compounded by a pharmacy into another form or hidden in some sort of flavoring? It would cost more, but in the end if it were to work, it is worth it!
Hi!
I will try mixing smaller doses of the medicine with the sauce or lickable treats. But I am wondering if it doesn't compromise the effect of the medication, as it is supposed to be given to encoat his stomach lining when the stomach itself is empty. Or maybe a small bit of sauce/treat won't matter that much?

Actually, I have contacted the company that makes the medication and asked them how they were intending for this thing to work if it has such an awful taste and cats have sensitive taste buds. Asked them if they could give me any advice on how to administer it. We'll see if they answer :D

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It went a little bit better with a smaller dose and some juice from Sheba's wet food (stopped giving him wet food altogether, so now it's only Virbac Digestive HPM). He still foamed and salivated, but looked a little less traumatised by the taste. Will also try mixing it up with some lickable treat, hope it won't lessen the effect of the medicine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I will try mixing smaller doses of the medicine with the sauce or lickable treats. But I am wondering if it doesn't compromise the effect of the medication, as it is supposed to be given to encoat his stomach lining when the stomach itself is empty. Or maybe a small bit of sauce/treat won't matter that much? Actually, I have contacted the company that makes the medication and asked them how they were intending for this thing to work if it has such an awful taste and cats have sensitive taste buds. Asked them if they could give me any advice on how to administer it. We'll see if they answer :D
It will be interesting to see what the company says - IF they respond. I can't imagine that a little bit of food will make that much difference - hopefully not.

The other thing you could do is to reach out to a compounding pharmacy (Wedgewood is one I keep hearing about on this site) and ask them what would be your options for compounding the meds so that the awful flavor is masked. Could try to call the vet and ask them the same thing - they may have a pharmacy they deal with that does that sort of thing.