How to get sick cat to eat?

musicandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat to the vet today because he spent the morning vomiting blood. X-rays were done and it seems he ate some bones and may have some poop or hairballs stuck in his system. The vet prescribed Laxatone and told me to feed him wet food 4 times today so he can defecate. However, I can't get him to eat the wet food. He's currently sleeping on my bed and refuses to eat. I notified the vet, but was told to keep trying to coerce him into eating the food. I'd appreciate any tips.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry, but how did the vet explain the blood in his vomit? That would seem to mean that one of the bone fragments may have perforated some tissue somewhere - which I have no idea how that has anything to do with poop or hairballs stuck in his system. There is no enticement for eating if that would be the case and, IMO, getting him to eat isn't going to resolve a perforation. I would suspect he is in pain. Did the vet explain how the blood would mean something other than what I am suggesting? Maybe I am missing something?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I had some of the same concerns. For example, I don't quite understand the correlation between eating some bones and having poop and hairballs in the cat's system.

Regarding getting him to eat wet food and increase his appetite, did the vet suggest Urgent Care A/D?
Hill's® Prescription Diet® a/d® Canine/Feline It's positively irresistible and most cats love it.
I hope he eats and feels better soon. Sending positive thoughts. :alright:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try mixing some pure chicken baby food with low sodium chicken broth or lactose free milk until it is soupy. I always gave this to my sick cats and usually could get them to lap some up.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same concerns about the blood.

I had a cat who stopped eating - she wouldn't eat at home or in the hospital - and I had to force-feed her with a syringe. After she started taking the food this way, she eventually started on her own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry, but how did the vet explain the blood in his vomit? That would seem to mean that one of the bone fragments may have perforated some tissue somewhere - which I have no idea how that has anything to do with poop or hairballs stuck in his system. There is no enticement for eating if that would be the case and, IMO, getting him to eat isn't going to resolve a perforation. I would suspect he is in pain. Did the vet explain how the blood would mean something other than what I am suggesting? Maybe I am missing something?
The vet did not explain the blood in his vomit.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your cat is ok, I would like someone else suggested take kitty to another vet. I the mean time try something like Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse near the end that is the only thing Midi would eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply y’all. He swallowed bones and they were indeed hurting him which explains the blood. He underwent surgery on Sunday and is currently taking medication. I’ve been force feeding him wet food and water. However, we are not sure as to how much damage the bone fragments caused.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
However, we are not sure as to how much damage the bone fragments caused.
What was the surgery for? Are you sure you're not sending food and water outside of his digestive system? Shouldn't he be at the vet's so they can watch him?