How to get kitty to eat more

Sophra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a kitty 2 days ago. He's very sweet, still a little nervous though but I know that's to be expected. The issue I'm facing is that he's eating very little, maybe 1 pack of wet cat food a day. At his previous home they told me he at two packs a day as well as a bowl of dry food. I'm hoping it's just his nerves and getting used to a new environment that's affecting him. He also has fleas, which he's just had spot treatment for, so that may be affecting him, but I'm not so sure. He cries for food, but just doesn't eat much each time. I tried giving him a shallower bowl and heating it up, but to little progress. Does anyone have any tips to stimulate his appetite? Should I just be patient and give him as much food as he'll eat in one sitting? Any help is seriously appreciated!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you feeding him the same food he was eating before? If not, try that and see if it helps. You can always transition his food after he has adapted to his new home. You might also try to 'copycat' his previous food bowl as well - something he would be more familiar with.

I am sure some of his lack of eating much does have to do with being in a new place, and perhaps the flea treatment as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he a kitten or an adult? If he's a kitten, then yes, you should let him eat as much as he wants at any one sitting. And I would leave dry food out for him.

And I totally agree with the above, for now, feed him what he is used to, then work on switching him to something else later on, after he's more comfortable.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he eat more if you sit next to him? If you leave him out for a bit?

Is he the only cat in your home?

Does he have a "base camp" for security?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you feeding him the same food he was eating before? If not, try that and see if it helps. You can always transition his food after he has adapted to his new home. You might also try to 'copycat' his previous food bowl as well - something he would be more familiar with.

I am sure some of his lack of eating much does have to do with being in a new place, and perhaps the flea treatment as well.
I have the exact same food that his previous owners gave him, he's just eating muuuuch less of it than he used to. I gave him a shallower bowl to use, he seems to eat more in one sitting now, so he's making little improvements, I just so worried about the poor guy being underfed.

Sophra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he a kitten or an adult? If he's a kitten, then yes, you should let him eat as much as he wants at any one sitting. And I would leave dry food out for him.

And I totally agree with the above, for now, feed him what he is used to, then work on switching him to something else later on, after he's more comfortable.
When you say leave dry food out, do you mean just stick to wet food for now? He's 9 weeks old right now.

Sophra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he eat more if you sit next to him? If you leave him out for a bit?

Is he the only cat in your home?

Does he have a "base camp" for security?
He recently ate one of his meals more than usual, I was sitting next to him but idk if that had any influence tbh.

Yes he's the only cat.

I feed him in the living room for now, it was the only safe room available when we got him. I don't know whether another room would be better for him to eat in, do you recommend keeping his food, water and litter in the same room?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He recently ate one of his meals more than usual, I was sitting next to him but idk if that had any influence tbh.

Yes he's the only cat.

I feed him in the living room for now, it was the only safe room available when we got him. I don't know whether another room would be better for him to eat in, do you recommend keeping his food, water and litter in the same room?
I think it can take solo kittens a harder time to adjust. Usually it's recommended to have two kittens. At 9 weeks, he was also given to you a bit too young. Kittens should be kept with their litters until 12 weeks. He is likely very nervous. If you can, are interested and it's affordable to you, a second kitten (even from the same place you got him!) would help him to be more confident and to learn how to cat.

This will be a GREAT resource for you for his first year: Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady

First-time Cat Owner's Guide - TheCatSite

Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide - TheCatSite

- yes to everything in one room

- slowly expand his access to the home

- take a look at any house plants for toxicity: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats. I actually recently had a family member lose a cat as they were gifted lilies and a single chomp was taken.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you say leave dry food out, do you mean just stick to wet food for now? He's 9 weeks old right now.
No, I mean leave dry food available for him at all times. He's still a wee baby and needs a lot of food. Many meals of wet food, plus the dry food whenever he wants a snack.

Sophra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I mean leave dry food available for him at all times. He's still a wee baby and needs a lot of food. Many meals of wet food, plus the dry food whenever he wants a snack.
Ah I see, thank you for clarifying.

Sophra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it can take solo kittens a harder time to adjust. Usually it's recommended to have two kittens. At 9 weeks, he was also given to you a bit too young. Kittens should be kept with their litters until 12 weeks. He is likely very nervous. If you can, are interested and it's affordable to you, a second kitten (even from the same place you got him!) would help him to be more confident and to learn how to cat.

This will be a GREAT resource for you for his first year: Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady

First-time Cat Owner's Guide - TheCatSite

Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide - TheCatSite

- yes to everything in one room

- slowly expand his access to the home

- take a look at any house plants for toxicity: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats. I actually recently had a family member lose a cat as they were gifted lilies and a single chomp was taken.

Hiya, thank you for linking all those resources! I've been seriously debating whether to get another cat, but practically I wouldnt be able to manage. Hopefully if this year goes well I could consider getting another.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hiya, thank you for linking all those resources! I've been seriously debating whether to get another cat, but practically I wouldnt be able to manage. Hopefully if this year goes well I could consider getting another.
That's fair. When you do, I would recommend checking at a local rescues or shelters. Usually they are already fixed and have all their shots. So it's much less on the pocketbook than a younger kitten.

For example, I got Ghost and we paid less than $200 after tax. He's only approximately 2. He's quite young, playful and energetic. He had all his shots and is neutered so our vet said he only needs to come in next year.

For Magnus and Calcifer I got them much younger. They were neutered and had some shots but I paid $350 each for them and still needed shots and other medicals that year. They were from a different rescue.

Sophra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's fair. When you do, I would recommend checking at a local rescues or shelters. Usually they are already fixed and have all their shots. So it's much less on the pocketbook than a younger kitten.

For example, I got Ghost and we paid less than $200 after tax. He's only approximately 2. He's quite young, playful and energetic. He had all his shots and is neutered so our vet said he only needs to come in next year.

For Magnus and Calcifer I got them much younger. They were neutered and had some shots but I paid $350 each for them and still needed shots and other medicals that year. They were from a different rescue.
Side note, I love your cat's names >.< I'll probably seriously consider getting an older cat, shelters wouldn't give us a cat because we were first time owners, but an older cat sounds like a little less of a hassle.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Side note, I love your cat's names >.< I'll probably seriously consider getting an older cat, shelters wouldn't give us a cat because we were first time owners, but an older cat sounds like a little less of a hassle.
That sounds rediculous. How is anyone supposed to learn how to have a cat that way?

Older cats are much less hassel. I'm an experienced owner and even I felt in over my head with kittens during 2020 and 2021. Mine were 5 months when I brought them home. I called the vet so often it was rediculous 🤣

A young adult cat or bonded pair and some resources are great for first time owners. Basic resources such as how to watch out for health issues in cats can go a long way.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is a very good thing to note I got Gabby from our local humane society shelter and her cost was 68$ all her shots were included tested. The paperwork said she was spayed which is included in adoption fee.. well after having her for a while she definitely was not spayed so they also spayed her for no additional cost.
So when you're able to definitely check your local shelter there are so many cats and kittens that need a home..
And that is absolutely ridiculous that they denied you... that shouldn't matter... if you can give a baby a home then that should be what they look at not that you're a first time kitty owner... ughhh

Anyway it does sound like he might be nervous new environment and away from his momma and littermates just five him extra love and attention should help him transition also if you have a real soft blanket he could lay on and knead I think he would like it