How to feed sick cat with food allergies, no hypoallergenic wet food available?

hexevans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat was diagnosed with a severe UTI (possibly affecting the kidneys) last night at the emergency vet. He's receiving treatment at home, but I'm at a loss of how to feed him. He doesn't have much of an appetite, and the vet said he needs to eat wet food (he usually eats Royal Canin Urinary S/O + Hydrolyzed Protein dry food). The only thing is, there is no hypoallergenic wet food available. The vet said he needs Hill's Prescription Diet d/d Skin/Food Sensitivities Duck Formula Canned Cat food, but it's out of stock EVERYWHERE in my city, even the main supplier is out. It's really important that he eats, as he needs to eat with the medication he's taking (Clavaseptin 50 mg, 2 tablets every 12 hours for 10 days, along with Prazosin 1 mg [to encourage bladder flow] and Buprenorphine 0.25 ml every 12 hours for 5 days). Plus he's so zonked out by the painkillers—I think that's also reducing his appetite.

My question is, is there any way to force feed him dry food that has been softened? Or can anyone recommend another wet cat food for cats with food allergies (available in Canada)? I've tried mixing his dry hypoallergenic food with water, but he's not interested.

Any ideas/tips welcome, I'm feeling really worried. :(

Thanks in advance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Have you tried online retailers?

Have you looked for other varieties with similar ingredients in the Hills line or in Royal Canin, since it appears your vet is looking for you to feed a canned novel protein --double check with the vet about this.

Also maybe ask about an appetite stimulant.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't be of much help, but all your vet is trying to do is get more moisture in your cat's diet. For now, feed him his dry food so that he will at least be eating and to help offset any stomach upset with his meds.

Have you tried a water fountain to see if that would help entice him to drink more? How about filtered water? Some cats tend to like it better than water straight from the tap. You might also ask the vet about sub-Q fluids and if that would help with the severe UTI that your cat has at the same time you explain to them that you currently cannot get the food they are recommending.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexevans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you for your replies. I've tried online retailers, they're still sold out, even the big ones. However! Thank you Furballsmom for the idea of looking for a canned novel protein. The vet mentioned duck, so I've sent my partner out to get wet food made with duck (Google searches say they exist). An appetite stimulant is a good idea too.

Re: FeebysOwner: Thanks for the advice as well! You are are right, it's just important to get food in him. He did get sub-Q fluids before he was discharged today, I'm glad to know that was the right thing. We have a water fountain to encourage drinking, but I didn't know that some cats prefer filtered water, very good to know!

hexevans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found a hypoallergenic duck-based food, and he gobbled it up! Fingers crossed he doesn't vomit, so good so far.

A follow-up question: He's licking his privates a lot after peeing (also: he successfully had a small pee!). Do you think I should put a cone on him to stop the licking (and possibly making the infection worse)? He's an anxious type and tends over-groom when stressed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We found a hypoallergenic duck-based food, and he gobbled it up! Fingers crossed he doesn't vomit, so good so far...A follow-up question: He's licking his privates a lot after peeing (also: he successfully had a small pee!). Do you think I should put a cone on him to stop the licking (and possibly making the infection worse)? He's an anxious type and tends over-groom when stressed.
Good on the food - hope that works!

As far as the licking, it may be just a bit soon to start seeing any results from the meds he is on. He may be experiencing some pain while peeing at this point. So, I am not terribly sure what a cone will do for him, other than to add stress. A better idea might be to distract him if you can, if you are worried that he is going to cause some sort of irritation to his skin. If play doesn't work, then a treat or two can't hurt while you trying to get him on the mend!!

Also, keep an eye on how often and how much he goes to see if over a few days of meds that you see a positive change.

hexevans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You made the perfect point FeebysOwner, I tried him with the cone and it was clearly making him very sad. He usually licks his groin right after peeing (or attempting to), but it's pretty easy to district him—and you're right, the licking is likely because the meds haven't fully reduced symptoms yet. But he's definitely feeling better, judging by his wet food consumption and the familiar playful look in his eyes!

The only thing that's a bit troublesome currently is getting him to drink water. We have a fountain, and usually he's a good regular drinker, but he's been uninterested in it since the infection began. I left a bowl of water in another place in the house, near his food dish, but still no interest. He got sub-Q fluids on Friday morning, but I imagine that's been absorbed by now. HOWEVER, I've been mixing his wet food with unflavoured Pedialyte, then warming it in the microwave, and he laps it right up. I just wish he would have a good drink at the fountain, though. If anyone has any other tips for getting a cat with a UTI to drink water, that would be excellent!

Other than that, I just wanted to give a big thank you to all of you here sharing your wisdom with strangers and their cats. It is kind-hearted, comforting, and extremely helpful! 🖤

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try tall water glasses or mason jars, clean daily and filled with fresh daily filtered water, in unusual places in the house, and move the bowl to different places and have it at different heights such as on a small sturdy box or a couple books, then the next day in a different location, and so on :)