How to feed cats with different diets

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in a similar position and just ordered the SureFeed. I don't think you can train them. Some cats will only eat a couple of bites then walk away. You don't really want them to gorge as that can bring other issues. Had a couple cats eat too much too fast and regurgitate.
Yes, we have a regurgitator. It's not a nice problem, particularly because it's hard to break a cat of the habit of eating too fast. And her sister (the one with the microchip feeder) is a very dainty, slow grazer.

I hope the SureFeed works for you! I've read good things about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So in this case using surefeed if I have two cats that are grazers and one cat on medical I would need two feeders as I have also the problem that older cat who is on medical diet, truly dislikes it, and eats the kitten food if not checked.

Thanks

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On a related note, my main problem is right now as I am actively watching as I feed them my older Cat, Lola, who is on a pre-kidney disease diet and hates it, and Taffy who is on Kitten food eat their own food. But when I look away they steal each others food. The Vet said that the med diet food has stuff that the kitten should not eat. So that she cannot get to the medical diet is the key.

I am asking this as we are going away for a week for the Holidays in December and will have our babysitter come daily 2x per day. But while she comes and takes care of the cats she will not be there all day, so if the cats are grazers they will eat each others food since babysitter will not be there.

I guess one thing I thought about was for just that week transition Lola to regular food, which would not have a negative effect on the Kitten.

Has anyone ever done that? Switch diets temporarily?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well...I just gave up, lol. My issue is not as serious as yours as what I'm facing is a very heavy mama cat. I'm hoping once we're all on adult cat food, she'll slim back down.

Ironically, of course, the kittens are happy to eat the adult food that's out in a different spot.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On a related note, my main problem is right now as I am actively watching as I feed them my older Cat, Lola, who is on a pre-kidney disease diet and hates it, and Taffy who is on Kitten food eat their own food. But when I look away they steal each others food. The Vet said that the med diet food has stuff that the kitten should not eat. So that she cannot get to the medical diet is the key.

I am asking this as we are going away for a week for the Holidays in December and will have our babysitter come daily 2x per day. But while she comes and takes care of the cats she will not be there all day, so if the cats are grazers they will eat each others food since babysitter will not be there.

I guess one thing I thought about was for just that week transition Lola to regular food, which would not have a negative effect on the Kitten.

Has anyone ever done that? Switch diets temporarily?

Would it be better for the sitter to just feed Lola as much as she will eat of the renal and then leave out only regular food? That way she's getting some of her medical food?

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found success with the microchip feeders, but they are not cheap. I had a grazer, though, and that was the only way to make sure he was eating.
That’s what I ended up doing and it works great. But you are right they are not cheap