how to dis-infect a wound

theblackcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shadow the stray cat was on my back porch last week and later that night i herd cats fighting. I didn't see him for a week until right now today. he has a large cut about a cm under hid right eye. how do i make sure it does not get infected. im nowhere near a vet.HELP!!!will rubbing alcohol work i know he will probably scratch me if i use that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theblackcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try to get a picture.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubbing alcohol will sting, be painful, and set your relationship with this cat sliding downhill. If he will let you wipe it off with a damp / wet washcloth you can get a better look at it. Phone your vet and ask if you can use a dab of antibiotic ointment. A scratch / cut is not a good thing but it is better than a puncture wound that might close up before truly healed and result in an abscess.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I would not use alcohol that would really sting. I would use some warm salt water. About 1 tea spoon of salt to 1 cup of warm water. It will not string if diluted like that.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Please be careful as not only are many things poisonous to cats, the wound is close to the eye, and the wound could be deep and prone to infection and developing and abscess.

Antiseptics that are safe for cats if diluted are Povidone Iodine diluted to very weak tea, or Chrorhexidine Diacetate diluted to very pale blue and you might be able to get these from a pharmacy if you haven't used something else already.  Boiled water cooled and some added salt disolved might be the safest alternative in the absence of anything else.  

Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide both damage tissue so please do not use those as they could easily cause more harm.

The Cat Protection League here in the UK produce a very useful leaflet which is available on line which gives general first aid advice along with the importance of proper veterinary care as soon as possible.  I appreciate you do not have easy access to a vet and wish to do the best you can for this cat and if you can manage to access the above leaflet it might help you.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the salt water solution, especially with it being near an eye.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope things are okay with Shadow today. If you feel the cut is large enough that stitches might be necessary, please consult with a vet.

As far as disinfecting scatches and wounds, I too would suggest warm water with salt to bathe the cut which may be all that is needed if it is fairly superficial and has not become infected. Salt is a great, natural antiseptic and purifier. That said, I use a product called Cothivet which is a holistic antiseptic spray with my cats for scratches and wounds, after I have cleaned the scratch or wound with warm salt water.

If you are contemplating using a safe antiseptic product of some kind, it would be best to apply this to a cotton ball and then apply to the wound so you have control over the application. Never use a spray or other product directly onto a cat's face.

Last edited:

moweis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Herbicleanse has been recommended in the past by my vet. Its generic name is chlorhexidine. You can get it at any drug store. It does not sting and it cleans and disinfects. I had a stray with a mangled tail and the vet told me alcohol and peroxide will cause discomfort but this won't. It is a soapy consistency so I'd put it on a q-tip to apply. It comes concentrated for humans so you need to dilute it 1/20. A vet visit is probably best and this probably not help if it's a large open scratch.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last winter when my feral, Shadow had a nasty wound on his back side, I used warm soapy water to clean the wound 2x a day.  It helped to keep the dirt out.  I watched it carefully as I knew that if it abscessed he would need vet care.  I called my vet and asked what to look for.  Fortunately Shadow healed on his own.  I know how hard it can be to get a feral to the vet.  Just keep an eye on the wound.  You might call your vet and ask for suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theblackcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. The cut healed on its own. I couldn't even tell it was there. To be honest it was rather small and I think I just exaggerated. Sadly I must inform everyone that shadow has passes away.(I think)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone. The cut healed on its own. I couldn't even tell it was there. To be honest it was rather small and I think I just exaggerated. Sadly I must inform everyone that shadow has passes away.(I think)
Thank you for the update.  I am sorry to hear of Shadow's passing.  I hope he is at peace.