How to cook perogies?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think they are very much a regional dish that depends on the immigrant communities in an area.  My ex's family is in Youngstown, OH and they are a big deal there.  Churches sell homemade ones for fund raisers especially during Lent and Easter.  I am originally from Kansas and I had never heard of them.  I now live in Columbus, OH and they aren't a big deal here either.  I am sure there are a lot of people here who have never heard of them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they a regional thing? LOL, I guess that would explain why I've never had homemade pierogies. I buy the frozen Mrs T's 4-cheese pierogies all the time. They're yummy. I do things with them that would probably make an old Polish lady mad (like sauté them in salsa, bake them with hot sauce, or make a pasta bake casserole with them) but they really are good no matter what I do.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boil them until the float, then they are done. From there you can brown slightly if you wish or just serve with sour cream. IF you want to get a little fancier with the sour cream, fry up a few slices of bacon until crisp, then cook onions in some of the bacon fat (same pan) then deglaze the pan with sour cream and pour that over the perogies.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like boiling them until they float was what I was told..does that make sense?
Perfect sense. Boil them until they float.  You can even do them from frozen state.  Serve them with sauteed oninos and bacon, or butter and sauteed onion. Don't forget the sour cream.... or yogurt. I prefer plain yogurt on mine.

EDIT:  Oops.  Just noticed that this thread is 4 years old.

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Boil them first, until tender (but not too tender), then make sauteed onions (caramelize them). Add the boiled pierogied, and brown them a little. YUMMMMM....

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on what I want.. I make them in different ways:

Fry them in butter and eat it like that

Boil them and add pasta sauce to it (like you would with pasta) and add extra cheese on it

or as others suggested, boil them and add it to fried onions. I like to also add bell peppers to it for extra flavor and color

Stick them in the oven and eat them plain too.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are of Polish origin. I only know about them because a few of my childhood friends were of Polish ancestry, and they used to eat them.

Pierogi are delicious though! I like dumplings of all kinds :)

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are of Polish origin. I only know about them because a few of my childhood friends were of Polish ancestry, and they used to eat them.
Pierogi are delicious though! I like dumplings of all kinds :)
The first time I tried them I think I was around 9 or 10. I grew up in a neighborhood that was 70 percent Polish Polish (not just Polish-American, although I am neither one) - They're yummy with butter and salt and pepper - Very basic

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have some recipes for making pierogi from scratch, but have never tried to do so. I do make my own ravioli; it can't be much different than that, other than the filling. I make my own potstickers, too. I should try to make some pierogi......although Mrs. Ts does a good job on her own. 

Our favorite way to do pierogi is to flop them in boiling water til they float. While they're cooking, I'll make a marinara sauce and add some chopped spinach, basil, oregano, parsley, and freshly ground pepper. Lots of grated Parmesan. And then we'll dip the pierogi into the marinara and eat them that way. Something a little different to nosh on when we're watching a movie.