How to conceal medication

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How to conseal the meds?
We have been on the numerous meds, usually he takes them hidden in his food or lick-a-lick or any other treated or pills pouches and then one day he KNOWS, stops eating even the most favourite food!
We are now on CBD pastilles, firstly was taking them as any other dry treats, then crushed in food, now refuses. I have CBD drops, apparently they taste of fish (?), I think they actually bitter, as he started running mad throughout a house...
We are now expecting a delivery of special powdered herbs and Chinese meds (Rysiek suffers from a chronic neurological condition, trigeminal neuralgia and I resist a strong neurological medication he was already taking).
So, I am looking for any tips, I am aware that some cats just take them, this is not Rysiek...I saw amazing videos of cats just "loving" their medication...he does not...
He used to be in a strong medication which eventually I had to deliver via sirringe as to follow the protocol...He hates it, although was cooperating in some way (we had our daily routine of him being gently wrapped in the towel and then getting his treat afterwards).

I am looking for some...magic! So he just takes it...😸...hmmm

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be a cat that just needs some variety. My cats have NEVER refused liquid meds mixed in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, even when sick. I give them this every day with their meds. One cat had solid pills pressed into tiny pieces of bacon or cheese. I have given ferals low sodium tuna juice (Walmart) for liquid meds too. Right now I give solid meds pressed into Salmon flavored Pill Pockets, they like these better than the chicken ones. All the luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I have found to work is cycling through lickable treats and baby food meats. So, my cat never gets a med in the same thing twice in a row. I have 7 lickable treats I rotate through, as well as a couple of flavors of baby food meat. This is for the meds I can crush and mix with the treat. I also give her 5 or 6 crunchy treats, which the flavors are also rotated as well, at the same time, so she has something besides the meds to eat. Another med goes in a bite of wet food each day before her regular meal, but those foods are rotated as well - 7-10 days before one is repeated, so the med is always in something different.

One of the pills that I don't crush is often times a lost cause, because I use pill pockets or pill masker to hide those in, so the medium is repeated too often. I can't use any other flavor than chicken so additional pockets/masker isn't an option. Not only that but the pockets and pill masker sometimes can be a bit 'gooey' and will stick to the plate, so I coat them in FortiFlora to help stop that. Besides, she likes to chew everything, so if she bites into a pocket or the masker, all bets are off.

She won't take capsules (tried to chew them), and will spit out or gag up any liquid meds given to her via oral syringe.

I have resorted to getting it compounded to try to hide the taste or make it more like a treat. I have even paid out the nose to get a concentrated form of the med so that the dosage is as small as possible, in case I have to force syringe her. Not all of my attempts have been successful.

Trust me, I totally know where you are coming from. I wish all these tips that are given would work for her, but besides the ones I am currently using, they are all a bomb. I hope you find some in the above links that will work for you - try them all, that is all you can do and hopefully you will find a couple that are successful. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He may be a cat that just needs some variety. My cats have NEVER refused liquid meds mixed in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, even when sick. I give them this every day with their meds. One cat had solid pills pressed into tiny pieces of bacon or cheese. I have given ferals low sodium tuna juice (Walmart) for liquid meds too. Right now I give solid meds pressed into Salmon flavored Pill Pockets, they like these better than the chicken ones. All the luck!
He used to take meds in Pill pockets, until one day refused...
Any time he senses some medication he refuses...he may take it at first, and then he KNOWS...ouch...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing I have found to work is cycling through lickable treats and baby food meats. So, my cat never gets a med in the same thing twice in a row. I have 7 lickable treats I rotate through, as well as a couple of flavors of baby food meat. This is for the meds I can crush and mix with the treat. I also give her 5 or 6 crunchy treats, which the flavors are also rotated as well, at the same time, so she has something besides the meds to eat. Another med goes in a bite of wet food each day before her regular meal, but those foods are rotated as well - 7-10 days before one is repeated, so the med is always in something different.

One of the pills that I don't crush is often times a lost cause, because I use pill pockets or pill masker to hide those in, so the medium is repeated too often. I can't use any other flavor than chicken so additional pockets/masker isn't an option. Not only that but the pockets and pill masker sometimes can be a bit 'gooey' and will stick to the plate, so I coat them in FortiFlora to help stop that. Besides, she likes to chew everything, so if she bites into a pocket or the masker, all bets are off.

She won't take capsules (tried to chew them), and will spit out or gag up any liquid meds given to her via oral syringe.

I have resorted to getting it compounded to try to hide the taste or make it more like a treat. I have even paid out the nose to get a concentrated form of the med so that the dosage is as small as possible, in case I have to force syringe her. Not all of my attempts have been successful.

Trust me, I totally know where you are coming from. I wish all these tips that are given would work for her, but besides the ones I am currently using, they are all a bomb. I hope you find some in the above links that will work for you - try them all, that is all you can do and hopefully you will find a couple that are successful. Good luck.
Thank you. It is tricky. I have been cycling through different food and lockable treats, as wanted him to get of variety of food and tastes, he may lick a bit other food, but then just leaves it...until I change it to his favourite Sheba in jelly...
When he was very ill and unable to eat at all I would quickly change his food, so he knows now that I will change it eventually...
I will look for different lick-a-licks, but again he had a favourite one, so it may be difficult to get many tastes...
The CBD is made purposely for cats and smells of fish...today I managed to mix it with lick-a-lick...
In the past when he was on metacam, and before on gabapentin to get it in consistent manner I used to use sirringe, he was okeyish being wrapped into towel and then getting treats afterwards...
We used pill pockets as well, until he refused, even now, just to test it out, I may try to offer him a pill pocket without a pill, he avoids it!

I am in the end of my "trial and error"...