How to cat proof a studio apartment?

babygiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm planning on moving into a studio in the coming year, after living in a two bedroom apartment that's very well cat-proofed. I'm so nervous about my cat bolting out though, especially since the neighborhood I'm looking at is busy and dangerous - if she got out I'd never find her again. She's very smart (knows how to open drawers, take out her treat bag, then break into said treat bag), and I don't think a cat barrier would be enough to contain her.

I can't think of how to block off a door that opens inward though, apart from building a literal cage around the front door. The taller cat barriers I've seen seem designed for narrow spaces and doorways though, and wouldn't allow me to open the front door properly.

Could I get suggestions for what might work for a small, open space like this? I've been googling and getting articles on cat training (pretty impossible with mine) and links to the usual cat barriers - I was hoping for some out the box solutions, though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a DIY blockade that I have suggested before when someone is doing cat introductions to block a doorway, but it might work for you as a barrier around your front door. It is made of shelving you can buy at most home improvement stores and can be cut to the desired size (height). Each piece is set on its end and hooked together with zip ties so that it acts as an accordion-type door, easy to open and close. I've included a pic below to give you a better idea what I am talking about. Yours would be at least 3-sided, but probably more like 6-sided to make it big enough for you to get inside and close it before you open the front door. You would do the reverse when coming back in.

You might also consider other options/tips in this TCS article - 4 Foolproof Ways To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door - TheCatSite

Shelving blockade.png

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a DIY blockade that I have suggested before when someone is doing cat introductions to block a doorway, but it might work for you as a barrier around your front door. It is made of shelving you can buy at most home improvement stores and can be cut to the desired size (height). Each piece is set on its end and hooked together with zip ties so that it acts as an accordion-type door, easy to open and close. I've included a pic below to give you a better idea what I am talking about. Yours would be at least 3-sided, but probably more like 6-sided to make it big enough for you to get inside and close it before you open the front door. You would do the reverse when coming back in.

You might also consider other options/tips in this TCS article - 4 Foolproof Ways To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door - TheCatSite

View attachment 466623
This is what I would choose. A simple barrier not only would allow a very big peace of mind, but it might teach her that door darting doesn't work anymore because all she finds on the other side of the door is another door. (I wouldn't test this idea though!)