How to care for our cat and her kittens after birth

Shell81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi our cat who is 1year old has had 4 kittens so far and we was looking for any advice for after care for them all . When do we change blankets to clean ones and is it safe to move the kittens to fresh blankets with the mother ? Any tips and advice would be very much appreciated . Thank you in advance

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you may go ahead and move them to clean blankets. You’ll want to change the bedding every couple of days. Feed mom as much wet and dry food as she wants while she is nursing. She needs it. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shell81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, you may go ahead and move them to clean blankets. You’ll want to change the bedding every couple of days. Feed mom as much wet and dry food as she wants while she is nursing. She needs it. :)
Thank you we was thinking maybe better to change blankets tomorrow morning would that be ok ? Mom has plenty of food and water down and she has settled down now it’s been 3 hours since she had the last kitten and all are doing well 👌

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the blankets are damp, go ahead and change them soon. Mom will resettle. If not, then wait. :)

Shell81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you they are damp so we are going to change them , shall we use gloves to move the kittens onto clean blankets ?

Shell81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help we are going to change them all now . ☺😊

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Around 8 weeks, you should look into making an appointment to get mama and the babies spayed/neutered. :)

Shell81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right ok I will make a note of that thank you xx

Shell81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I must admit I actually felt like it was my daughter in labour the last kitten came out breech and omg our cat screamed broke my heart . Just checked them all this morning and all fit and wriggling around xx