How To Bring In My Stray Cat With An Older Cat?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I eliminated a lot of people without a lot of trouble by getting them to give me permission to talk to their vet. If they decline permission it was an immediate denial from me. If they gave permission then I checked out the history of previous and current pets in their records. Any big red flags may show up there. It saved me a lot of time and False hope. Sometimes people just get tied up by something but if they put you off very long without explanation, be careful. Don’t give up though! That is a beautiful kitty. It takes the right person to come along sometimes. Any more thoughts to adopting kitty into your home? Obvioulsy this one chose you. :catlove:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The lady texted me today to see if she can come Sunday!
What I did when people inquired was ask them why they wanted a cat. (Then set down the rules!) One guy never texted back, and the other wanted to rid the house of rats! Can't even bear the thought of what they'd do with him after the rats were killed? :devilish:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get everything in writing. Make sure they will update you on the cat. At least in the beginning. I require a text, email or call and put in a clause about a visit. I don’t usually need to do that. Also that the cat be returned to you if there is any problem rather than being passed off to others or a shelter you might not approve of. Make sure you can check any follow up with their vet if you get worried. Some people provide a prepaid vet check to make sure the kitty does go if needed. Get all their information and get it in writing. I know this seems like a lot but it just provides protection for you and the kitty in case you ever had a reason to get worried.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I've successfully brought in many outside cats with older guys. As long as the adoptive family understands that there is a process that has to move at their speed, not yours it will be fine. The number 1 reason I see for cats returned to the shelter I work at is "doesn't get along with other cats" because they assumed it worked like dogs. That you'd stick them both in the same room and they'd go off frolicking and playing.
So, your best bet is to make sure everyone is educated on introducing cats and what that means.