How serious is URI symptoms + diarrhea?

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My boy is sadly not feeling great as of yesterday. Two days ago I noticed he sneezed a few times. Yesterday when we woke up, he had quite a bit of eye discharge, was sneezing more, and had a bit of wheezing/hoarse meows. Since it was Sunday and the regular vet was closed I called the emergency vet to ask if they thought I needed to bring him in right away or if I should wait for his regular vet. They said since he is still eating and drinking and moving around that it is probably just a URI and waiting for his regular vet would be fine. I have just been awoken by him using the litterbox and he had diarrhea. He is still eating and drinking, and still up and moving. I am just more concerned now because respiratory and digestive are different symptoms, and from what I have read online diarrhea isn't a common symptom of a URI?

He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and is still playing with his toys and climbing in his cat trees and overall seems to be pretty okay besides the sneezing (if he seemed more serious I would take him to the emergency vet already). This is my first cat (and also first pet) and I am a little unsure of how concerned I should be but am panicking a bit. URIs and diarrhea both seem to be somewhat common ailments for cats, but not sure how common they are together, or if it is a sign of something more serious. For context, I adopted him about a month ago and his first general vet appointment was about a week ago, and they said he seemed overall healthy except his chipped tooth and some gingivitis. He has been on the same diet since then, and there haven't been any changes around the home (same litter, no new cleaning products, etc.) He seemed to adjusted fairly well and fairly quickly after I brought him home. I am unsure what his situation was before the shelter. He had been caught in a TNR program, but when they realized he was friendly they had him brought to the shelter to be adopted.

Does anyone know if diarrhea can be a symptom of a URI? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable before he gets into his regular vet? (so far I have run a couple of hot showers with him in the bathroom throughout the day and have been wiping the eye-discharge away and making sure his nostrils are clear) Should I get him into the emergency vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It occurred to me that he has had a dietary change recently, as I had gotten him some dental water additive after his vet visit. I tried to find if other people have had problems with the kind I got, TropiClean Fresh Breath, and while most reviews were positive, I found a couple of reviews where people said they believed it caused vomiting/diarrhea. I’ve dumped out and refilled his water bowl without it for now. I’m ultimately unsure if it is the cause or not, but I figure it’s best to treat it as such for now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food changes can definitely cause diarrhea, it should be done very slowly. I use Oxifresh for my water additive, also Oratene and have never had problems, just make sure it is odorless and made for cats. but that would not cause his URI. I'm thinking maybe he picked up a bug at the vet's visit a week ago, or since he is fairly new to your household the stress of being in a new home lowered his immunity and the feline herpes virus came out, it is VERY common in cats. Treat his symptoms by offering plenty of water since he is sneezing and has diarrhea, that will rehydrate him. Try to keep the humidity up, even sit with him in your closed bathroom for a while, 15 minutes or so, after a shower so he inhales the vapor from the tub/shower. I get an inexpensive treatment on Amazon called Nose Relief for cats and add a few drops to the food, it really helps with congestion.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to go with the food change causing the diarrhea. For the upper respiratory issue, keep an eye on him. If he becomes lethargic, stops eating and playing, then he needs to get to the vet. If you notice any kind of discolored eye or nasal discharge, that's also a sign that he needs to get to the vet.

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you notice any kind of discolored eye or nasal discharge, that's also a sign that he needs to get to the vet.
Thank you for the advice! In general, is there a guide to what different colored eye/nasal discharge means? Like what would be considered a typical color and what would be considered more discolored?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! In general, is there a guide to what different colored eye/nasal discharge means? Like what would be considered a typical color and what would be considered more discolored?
Clear liquid isnt bad, but if its green, yellow or another color then it can be a sign of a bad infection.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that there are two separate issues going on. The diarrhea might resolve itself, but watch that it does not become serious, but I have never had a URI take care of itself.

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Food changes can definitely cause diarrhea, it should be done very slowly. I use Oxifresh for my water additive, also Oratene and have never had problems, just make sure it is odorless and made for cats. but that would not cause his URI. I'm thinking maybe he picked up a bug at the vet's visit a week ago, or since he is fairly new to your household the stress of being in a new home lowered his immunity and the feline herpes virus came out, it is VERY common in cats. Treat his symptoms by offering plenty of water since he is sneezing and has diarrhea, that will rehydrate him. Try to keep the humidity up, even sit with him in your closed bathroom for a while, 15 minutes or so, after a shower so he inhales the vapor from the tub/shower. I get an inexpensive treatment on Amazon called Nose Relief for cats and add a few drops to the food, it really helps with congestion.
Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this advice! The vet ended up saying a lot of this when I took him in! He is also feeling quite a bit better now!