How often do you grocery shop ?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mainly go 1 time a month for everything and then  here and then for milk,bread.

dejolane

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We do a grocery trip once a week, usually on Monday nights right after work. And that's it. If I run out of something or if I forget to buy something (I don't normally as I do shop from a list), then we don't have it til the following Monday....I won't go to the store in between.

I wish I could figure out how to shop every other week, but I'm just not that adept. My sister manages to do that because she and her DH both get paid the same week so it works out for them. She's really good at it. I can't seem to swing it.

We don't buy convenience anything if we can avoid it....frankly, it just costs too much. I tend to stay away from mixes as much as I can...no cookie mixes, no cake mixes, no canned frostings. No instant potatoes, no salad mixes, no pudding mixes or ready-made puddings. Nothing like that. I can't afford it anymore.  Our splurge is soda.....I can't seem to get along with my diet Mt. Dew.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do a grocery trip once a week, usually on Monday nights right after work. And that's it. If I run out of something or if I forget to buy something (I don't normally as I do shop from a list), then we don't have it til the following Monday....I won't go to the store in between.

I wish I could figure out how to shop every other week, but I'm just not that adept. My sister manages to do that because she and her DH both get paid the same week so it works out for them. She's really good at it. I can't seem to swing it.

We don't buy convenience anything if we can avoid it....frankly, it just costs too much. I tend to stay away from mixes as much as I can...no cookie mixes, no cake mixes, no canned frostings. No instant potatoes, no salad mixes, no pudding mixes or ready-made puddings. Nothing like that. I can't afford it anymore.  Our splurge is soda.....I can't seem to get along with my diet Mt. Dew.
Why don't you go shopping with your sister and see how she makes it through the month. I have 235.00 for food a month and then in the middle of the month I spend another 30.00 for pop and snacks and its just me & my husband but I do get a few things for the grandkids.My daughter is trying to get the kids to eat healthier which I understand (grandson is a little overweight) so I buy oranges,apples,and no kids cereals now. just healthier cereals. I think I will go to the store with her cause she has to feed 4 and does a great job spending her food money.

dejolane

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To tell you the truth, I don't have a certain time to buy groceries.  When I'm getting low on food I go shopping for what I need.  It could be a Friday or Monday or Wednesday or any day in between.  I just don't go on the weekends cuz the stores are more crowded then.  Since I don't work, I go during the late morning, no crowds there.  When I worked, I always went on a Friday evening.  Grocery shopping is one of the worst chores if not the worst, I really hate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To tell you the truth, I don't have a certain time to buy groceries.  When I'm getting low on food I go shopping for what I need.  It could be a Friday or Monday or Wednesday or any day in between.  I just don't go on the weekends cuz the stores are more crowded then.  Since I don't work, I go during the late morning, no crowds there.  When I worked, I always went on a Friday evening.  Grocery shopping is one of the worst chores if not the worst, I really hate it.

I love when they pack the bags for me unlike Aldi's. You have to lay the groceries on the belt and then take them out out the cart again and bag your own groceries which I hate. to do. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I always pack my own groceries.....that way I know that the milk hasn't been plopped on top of the eggs!!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always pack my own groceries.....that way I know that the milk hasn't been plopped on top of the eggs!!
I hate when they actually bag my milk! Hello......it has a handle. That is why I usually go to Albertson's where I can check myself out and bag my own. My" dear as a daughter" to me works at a store across the street so I do pop in there for some sale items. She will never know that I do my major shopping else where. I have issues with agoraphobia, so my store choices are limited. I'm just glad that I can actually go to a store and not have a stroke, but it's a small world...shopping wise.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a set schedule for shopping. Usually every 2-3 weeks, depending. We don't have any places here that let you bag your own. . .or at least none I've been to.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm usually at the supermarket and the butcher shop and sometimes the fish monger 3-4 times a week. I like my produce and meat fresh so I generally shop as I need it. I generally stock up on staples during one of my weekly trips and usually buy those for a least a month, if not more.