How Often Do You Feed Your Ferals?

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Due to recent events, I need to change up my feeding schedule for my ferals. My hope is that this is temporary, but in the meantime I would very much appreciate your thoughts/advice/current practice.

How many meals do your ferals get?

My ferals have been used to breakfast and dinner. Meal time has to become more stealthy (under the cover of darkness), so I have been strategizing and testing some techniques over the past few days. But last night, something occurred to me. Due to the time of year, it does not get really dark until about 9:30. With it being summer, I have to give about another 30min-1hour for neighborhood kids to go home, so 'dinner' might not be until 10-10:30. I get up at 4:30am for work, so no big adjustments there, but this puts breakfast only about 6 hours after dinner.

Considering providing one BIG meal per day, with supplemental kibble (carefully placed) in between. This will also help my sneakiness requirement. What are your thoughts?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think 2 meals is better than one big meal. I really think 2 is ok, even if they are spaced out only 6 hours. You are working, you do what you can. Many ferals still hunt in addition to home meals. My mom fed her ferals 3 times a day and still we found critter carcasses every few days.

:bluecat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel better about 2 meals a day. I think I am being way to conspiracy theory about all this; wondering how many neighbors are 'in on it', how many 'eyes' has the community manager put on my house, are there infrared cameras to catch my every evil cat feeding move????

I am afraid being caught will sign the death warrant for my colony, but these people have shown they prefer to do absolutely nothing. Cautious is good, even smart, but I think it is safe to dismiss the night vision stakeout.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Given what has happened to you, I don't think you are being too paranoid. What your neighbor did was unconscionable, and with most homes having some sort of Nest camera device, I don't think you are overreacting in wondering if that is a possibility. But, unless the neighbor keeps odd hours, I think the night vision stakeout camera Nest thing can be dismissed, as well. :coolcat:

But, with that being said, I don't think it would be the "death" of your colony, but it could be mean eviction for you if you were caught, and we certainly don't want that. I think - as you pointed out - they are probably lazy in general and prefer to do nothing. I don't think they want a fight - I think a mean, nosy neighbor complained and management is trying to appease them. I don't think management wants trouble any more than you do. Lay low for now, if you wish to continue feeding immediately, do so using extreme discretion which it sounds like you are doing. :agree:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to do 2 meals because if you only do 1 big meal, they might not eat it quickly enough for you not to get caught if it's a huge amount.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Labyrinth, how is the feeding coming along? Also, today you meet with the lawyer, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, breakfast went alright, I suppose. It was dark, I was super stealthy, and I am still paranoid. I am at work, a complete ball of nerves and anxiety, about to vomit at any moment.

Yes, Lawyer appointment is today. Some benevolence gave me an earlier appointment from my original 1:30 to 11:30.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would be a ball of nerves, too. Completely understandable. Let us know how it went when you have time.