How Often Do Kittens Use The Litter Box?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering two kittens that I had found separately about three weeks ago.
A female, 3 months, and a male, 5 months.

They both come from terrible physical situations, and have gone through veterinary cares and antibiotics, which were stopped 10 days ago for the male, and 5 days ago for the female .
The female also got Stronghold Kitten drops ten days ago, and was dewormed three days later with a product called Procox.
The male didn't receive any treatment because he was too weak when I found him. I will call the vet tomorrow to know more.

They use the litter box very very often and I have to scoop it several times a day.
On average we are on about 10 poops and 12 pees a day for the two of them.
For instance, in the last 12 hours I cleaned 6 pees and 6 poops!
They eat dry and wet for kittens, and they seem otherwise healthy and alert.

How is it normal for a kitten to use the litter tray this often?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens have very high metabolisms and are little poop and pee machines. The urine output doesn't seem abnormal, but the poop amount does. It could be that they are reacting to the meds or food change. Is is formed like tootsie rolls or loose?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It’s normal for kittens to pee lots as they are young as their bladder control is not strong yet. Once they grow older, they are able to hold the bladder longer and thus will be less times but in bigger clumps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
This seems rather frequent, but are they eating and drinking a lot?
Yes, they are eating a lot. On average one 85 grams can each, and about 25 grams of dry food each.
They do not drink much, but the wet food might be sufficient to them, it seems.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens have very high metabolisms and are little poop and pee machines. The urine output doesn't seem abnormal, but the poop amount does. It could be that they are reacting to the meds or food change. Is is formed like tootsie rolls or loose?
No food change, they are eating the same stuff since the day they came home, about three weeks ago.
All meds were suspended many days ago.
The poop is formed sometimes, and loose other times. For instance, yesterday it was formed most of the times. This morning the girl pooped very soft stuff.

I think they both need a second round of dewormer, but I need to have their poop tested before treating them.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s normal for kittens to pee lots as they are young as their bladder control is not strong yet. Once they grow older, they are able to hold the bladder longer and thus will be less times but in bigger clumps.
Alright, but what about the poop?

The total for the last 24 hours was 10 pees, 9 poops.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between the two of them, the amount is pretty normal.
I am not much into kitten things (i.e., I don't remember how they were), but when I had my adult cats, I had one poop and two pees each cat in the whole day...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here they are, the two poop machines :lol:

IMG_7595_Rr.jpg

The girl on the right has lost an eye (surgically removed) due to an infection. I found her into a waste bin.
The boy on the right had received a head trauma that had impaired his ability to walk, and his sight was gone! Now he's totally fine :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am not much into kitten things (i.e., I don't remember how they were), but when I had my adult cats, I had one poop and two pees each cat in the whole day...
Yep, adult cats are different in their digestive systems as it is fully developed as they age.
They hold they pee longer as their bladder are stronger and they poop once a day at least.

My boy mostly pees 2 times a day and sometimes 3 times a day depending on how much fluid he has taken and poop once in every two days and sometimes even 3 days once.