How much to spend on a wedding present (and a rant)

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be honest, I am not sure what the big dislike is regarding gift registries. Some people see a registry and completely freak out thinking that they must buy exactly the most expensive thing on the list or they will be ostracized for ever.

Also it is not up to you what the bride and groom put on their list. It is also never in a million years your responsibility to inform the couple that their choices are incorrect, unless of course you are socially inept and don't have a brain to mouth filter that stops you from saying stupid things. That was not directed at the OP by the way

The bride and groom didn't make up their registry with the thought that you personally had to buy the most expensive thing on the list. People who get upset at registries are just playing out fears of their own short comings such as not being able to afford the $60 wine glasses and that the bride and groom are going to be mad or hurt that you didn't. I can guarantee you that when the bride and groom put the $60 wine glasses on their list they didn't do so with the intention that they expected the person who is a friend that they occasionally hang out with to purchase them or anyone else for that matter. They put them on their because grandma/Aunt Bea/their best friend/insert any other person other than you/ usually buys stuff like that and they want to make life easier on the gift giver and themselves.

Personally I always browse the registry and look for something within my budget or a couple of small items that look like good choices. Now if it's a friend of a friend I might get the placemats and funky wine rings. If it's my best friend or a close relative, I'm probably going to get the $60 wine glasses if it's in my budget.

As for giving money, I have a simple way of handling that. If the couple are friends but not really the most meaningful relationship it is usually $50 to $75 depending on our budget. Really good friends are usually $100. Best friends and family are $150 to $200 depending on our budget. And acquaintances that we barely know who you realize just invited you because more people = more money get a polite regrets and well wishes

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t read most of this thread but I see nothing wrong with having an expensive registry as long as you have options for less expensive items.

My sisters engagement registry had everything from 30$ to 700$. She did end up getting her 700$ thing from her husbands side (5 of them went in on it) and she got quite a few lower end items from the people that didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t attend, or that didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know her well.

I think the rule of thumb is to bring cash, or cheque, see how much they spent for each head at the table and give them a bit more then that. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what I do anyway.

When I get married I am totally going to have a registry to get me things I would never buy for myself. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s your most special day, you should have nice things that will remind you of that day forever. Plus, whats beter then getting a gift you actually like? At least you know you wont get somethign you are going to shove in some closet to collect dust.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

...I don't think the couple should invite anyone if they wouldn't be happy to have that person there without a gift. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling it a celebration.
Amen, amen, amen!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My problem wasn't with them having expensive items, it's asking for 12 settings of fine china, and 12 settings of casual china, that will have them ending up with 36 casual china bowls. Just seems silly to me.

Maybe they will and purchase it all themselves, maybe a family member is planning to purchase the remaining items a bit cheaper afterwards so they can have all that? Who knows.

I'm not one for impractical things...

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Registering for fine china at a wedding is such a lovely tradition. When would you ever get such lovely gifts but when you start out a new life together? I would always buy one place setting, unless the pattern was extremely expensive. There is always an accessory piece, like a cake plate or, with the silver, a cake knife/spatula. I can't tell you how many times I use those pieces when entertaining. I don't even have to set out the other china, but that cake plate always makes me happy.

Anyway, as someone said, how much did it cost the couple to have you share their joy and how much would you blow on a nice dinner while you are on vacation?

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how well I know the couple I'll buy a $25-40 item, or combo of items from the registry. If those items have all been purchased I get them a gift card from the same retailer they registered with for $25-40. Most of the presents or cash we received were in the $30 range and we were super happy with that. We did get a Kitchen Aid mixer from my mom and stepdad- which was pretty pricey. Otherwise I used the gift cards to complete my Kitchen Aid appliance wish list!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

My problem wasn't with them having expensive items, it's asking for 12 settings of fine china, and 12 settings of casual china, that will have them ending up with 36 casual china bowls. Just seems silly to me.

Maybe they will and purchase it all themselves, maybe a family member is planning to purchase the remaining items a bit cheaper afterwards so they can have all that? Who knows.

I'm not one for impractical things...
Maybe it is practical for them? Life is like that, what may not seem practical/reasonable/right to one person, is perfectly acceptable to another.

I do know of some people that do use their china for big family meals, celebrations and the like. Personally, I don't care for "fine china". I have kids, things get broke.... I don't want my dishes stored in a china cupboard (which I do have and it has no china in it
) and I'd feel uncomfortable eating off it..... what if I scratched it.

Yah no thanks. Definately not practical for my family

I think registries are great for suggestions.... It helps so much to avoid duplicates, having to return items, etc. But one does not have to follow the registry to the letter.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I think registries are great for suggestions.... It helps so much to avoid duplicates, having to return items, etc. But one does not have to follow the registry to the letter.
Exactly.