How much omega 3 supplement to give daily to cat with allergies?? Has eosinophilic granuloma complex.

wakachewbaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I asked the vet about it and they aren't very sure since they don't see eosinophilic granuloma complex too often. I read an article online and it says to add up the amount of EPA and DHA acid and give cat 1000mg. Most recommended doses on bottles are too low an amount of omega 3 (DHA and EPA). Lower dosages are aimed towards a better coat and dry skin.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience about this?

Essential fatty acids for felines | Animal Wellness Magazine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wakachewbaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has been on atopica and steroids before,but I don't want to use them long term because of side effects

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you trying to resolve your cat's EGC with omega-3 supplements? Which type does your cat have?

I have seen both Welactin and Nordic Naturals mentioned by members on this site. See below links for how much EPA & DHA is in both of them, and the recommended dosages. Tbh, I wouldn't go over the recommended dosages - more is not always better. And, it could lead to diarrhea as well as a Vitamin E deficiency, and negatively affect your cats immune system by over-suppressing natural inflammatory responses.

Most all cases of ECG are due to an allergic condition as the triggering event and food seems to be the most dominant cause. Have you already tried a hypoallergenic food trial? Has the vet done a skin scraping to look for possible airborne allergens? If this issue is a long standing one, has there been any consideration to trying interferon - as a last resort - to see if that might knock out the EGC? The latter option would be done only if it is determined the EGC is the result of a viral condition.

NORDIC NATURALS Omega-3 Pet Cats & Small Breed Dog & Cat Supplement, 2-oz bottle - Chewy.com
NUTRAMAX Welactin Feline Omega-3 Cat Liquid Supplement, 4-oz bottle - Chewy.com

Also, check out this article to see if there is any helpful information in it. It does denote an omega-3 supplement (DermCaps), but states the dosage should follow along the lines of the manufacturer's guidelines.
Eosinophilic granuloma complex in cats and dogs (Proceedings) (dvm360.com)

Last edited: