How Much Hissing Is Too Much?

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not she if I picked the wrong section? I have 3 semi feral girls 6 months old that have been socialized to us. I already had 3 big boys that are age 3. I trapped the babies in my backyard and did not intend to keep them but you know how that goes. Any way had them since July and everyone has been spayed and neutered. The kittens have been in my bedroom but we finally let them out this week. They had all been sniffing and paw touching under the door for a while before. Over all I would say going okay so far but definitely some hissing. The big boys don't like the babies running at them fast and will swat and hiss. Occasionally the babies do the same. I have not heard any growling at all but there is definitely hissing at times and swatting and or swiping of paws. No down out rolling on the floor and fighting though. I have not let them out for good yet. Just do trial periods for a couple hrs. Am I introducing them the right way? Am I wrong to keep separating them and should I just leave them out all the time? My boys all get along great with each other and the 3 kittens are definitely bonded to each other. Just wan to know if the hissing and swatting is normal? I would think if it was going to escalate beyond that it would of by now right? I really need this to work.
Thanks for any advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not she if I picked the wrong section? I have 3 semi feral girls 6 months old that have been socialized to us. I already had 3 big boys that are age 3. I trapped the babies in my backyard and did not intend to keep them but you know how that goes. Any way had them since July and everyone has been spayed and neutered. The kittens have been in my bedroom but we finally let them out this week. They had all been sniffing and paw touching under the door for a while before. Over all I would say going okay so far but definitely some hissing. The big boys don't like the babies running at them fast and will swat and hiss. Occasionally the babies do the same. I have not heard any growling at all but there is definitely hissing at times and swatting and or swiping of paws. No down out rolling on the floor and fighting though. I have not let them out for good yet. Just do trial periods for a couple hrs. Am I introducing them the right way? Am I wrong to keep separating them and should I just leave them out all the time? My boys all get along great with each other and the 3 kittens are definitely bonded to each other. Just wan to know if the hissing and swatting is normal? I would think if it was going to escalate beyond that it would of by now right? I really need this to work.
Thanks for any advice.
Sorry for all of the typos.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is no blood or fur flying, the hissing and swatting is normal. Hissing is saying "enough", "stop", "don't come closer" and as long as they are respecting each other when that hiss is made they should sort it out. Swatting is an extension of it to reinforce the hiss. My Mom's male hissed at my girl when she joined us for a good four months, the hissing got less with time and now it is only once in a great while when she is overly aggressive and won't back down.

If the boys start aggressively going after the girl unprovoked then I would step in. But as long as it is in reaction to the girls proximity, it should be normal acclimation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there is no blood or fur flying, the hissing and swatting is normal. Hissing is saying "enough", "stop", "don't come closer" and as long as they are respecting each other when that hiss is made they should sort it out. Swatting is an extension of it to reinforce the hiss. My Mom's male hissed at my girl when she joined us for a good four months, the hissing got less with time and now it is only once in a great while when she is overly aggressive and won't back down.

If the boys start aggressively going after the girl unprovoked then I would step in. But as long as it is in reaction to the girls proximity, it should be normal acclimation.
Thank you that makes me feel better

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I mean, that is how they talk and communicate. Mine cat is 15 and I put her sister down 2 months ago and until the end sometimes they just got in each others way and hissed or swatted or even growled. It is just how cats tell each other to back off or leave them alone. They HAVE to do it. Don't scold them either when they do. If they don't have a way to communicate you end up with neurotic cats lol. No fun!