How much fish is too much??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, as a new cat "owner," I haven't figured out a good source of nutritional information I trust. I do get the sense vets don't necessarily know best but I am also admittedly skeptical of bright-line rules offered on fora such as this one, since I think a lot of things get passed around enough that they become received wisdom whether evidence based or not. I feel that way about the no-fish rule (and yes, the fact that I go based on what I "feel" perhaps confirms the heart of the problem).

I do try to avoid too much fish, and also tuna as part of any rotation, since it's high on the food chain. I suppose with the granularity provided on Weruva's FAQ page, you might not need to exclude tuna entirely, but I just wanted an easy line to draw. I feed Ziwi Peak mackerel as part of my regular rotation and feel fine about it, because mackerel is lower on the food chain. I'm also thinking to add a salmon-lamb food to the rotation. My cat does not seem to automatically prefer food with fish over food without (though she loves straight-up tinned fish, which I do save for a rare treat).

Assuming you want to feed commercial canned food, it seems nearly impossible to avoid all the "bad" foods (grains, gums, starches, plant protein, fish, menadione) and still maintain a decent variety. There are only so many Rawz meat flavors....

I've decided that variety is actually part of my overall approach to mitigating the risk posed by any given recipe. Le sigh.
I am going with what I "feel" is right for my cats too. This forum provides a lot of info (maybe too much) but ultimately it's going to be my choice what Boone and Gracie are fed. Good or bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry about phosphorus in Weruva, it’s one of the brands that has better ratios. And in general, if you have young cats, no need to worry about phosphorus for many, many years. Weruva however is one of the lower calories brand and it can be a factor if you care about $ vs kcal ratio.
At this point, I only care that my cats eat. I would rather take my chance with feeding meat and fish daily over worrying about them not eating all day/night. People criticized how I raised my kids because I raised them "old school" and I decided that is how I'm raising the cats. Worked for the cats I had growing up that lives into their early 20's. I am doing better than the last pair who only got dry food so I am calling it a win regardless.