How much do your cats trust you?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am curious to just how much do your cats trust you? Do they let you do whatever you want with them.. or do they have to 'test the waters' with you? or in between?

Cassie was sun-bathing earlier awake, but relaxed. She allowed me to pick up her paw (both front and back), rub my fingers between her pads and pull at her nails lightly. She also allowed me to tug lightly at her tail and play with her whiskers. She also let me stick my finger in her ear to clean some dirt (don't worry, not all the way in, just inside to clean her ears!). She even trusts me to pick her up and hold her baby style (which I know most cats do not like)

She did not once flinch or look at me or pull away in the slightest. (yet, when it comes to claw trimming, she'd meow and pull away) I think she trusts me 120% with whatever I do with her and I think that's just the greatest feeling for me!

Monet I feel trusts me about 97%. He tends to pull his paw away when I play with them.. he's laid back, but not as laid back as Cassie. He's a little less tolerant of my affectionate hugs, but I think that's more of who he is.

So.. how well do your cats trust you?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the question is Do I trust my cat  not to scratch me when I'm trying to rub her belly ? I can really only do this rubbing when they are in a good mood. Bella will give me about 5 rubs then it's attack mode.Thunder only when she wants it.

I can say they trust me to know if I leave I will be back to feed them and love on them.

Last edited:

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess in the middle. There are some things I can do now with her still purring the whole time that I couldn't do when she first moved in. But there are still some things she struggles with me on.

I can brush her whole body: face, both sides, back, tummy, and tail (haven't figured out how to get the brush around the weird bones in the leg). I can clip her claws in front with no problem. I can play with all of her feet, but she pulls away when I try to clip her back claws -- I do it only rarely, and only the very tips.

After I brush her and either feel or clip her claws, I like to check her mouth because of her gingivitis -- but she rarely lets me. She doesn't scratch or bite, but she does move her head around a lot and I don't want to hurt her, so she usually wins out. She also squirms and moves when I try to put toothpaste on her teeth (haven't gotten farther than that step of brushing yet).

She doesn't like it when I hold her like a baby, but I still try it every once in awhile.

Last edited:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Moki trusts me but she gets annoyed easily depending on her mood lol. She lets me carry her like a baby most of the time

Ghost has only been in the house for a few months and is still a bit skittish but he lets me pick up his paws and brush him all over and he always wants to be near my husband and myself

Hina is a stray we brought in and just had her kittens 3 weeks ago, she let's us hold her and brush her. She also lets me weigh her babies and inspect them. I'd say we have a good trust for each other already and I hope we bond even more.

Rin is a little snot lol, she does what she wants when she wants. She loves to follow me everywhere but is a look but not touch kind of cat, she very seldom wants carried around or cuddled with anymore. She has no problem tagging you with a claw if you pet her when she's not in the mood.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure wether it is trust or because of their breeds but my cats let me do everything from baths to carrying then like babies. They never try to bite or scratch.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My Bridge baby, Banshee, trusted me 100%. I could do anything with her and she knew I would never hurt her. She'd be laying somewhere and I'd walk into the room....she'd immediately roll over to show me her belly and chirp at me until I snuffled her belly for a few minutes, purring the whole time. We had some friends visit us and they were sitting on the floor in the living room; Banshee walked in, sat between them on the floor, rolled right over and showed her belly. Such a trusting little girl she was! I swear she spent 50% of her life flat on her back, waiting for people to touch her belly....not many cats will do that.

She was a boneless cat, meaning that I could pick her up and she'd immediately just relax. She was the only cat that I could really sit down with and hold like a baby. When she was a kitten, she and I spent many, many hours in the rocking chair in the living room....just me holding her in my arms. I remember when another couple was at the house and we were playing cards, Banshee came over and jumped in my lap at the table. And she just sat there with her front paws on the table....like she knew exactly what was going on. I'd ask her which card to play and, sometimes, she paw at a certain card. I always played her card, but most of the time, it was the wrong card.

When Banshee got older, she had some trouble cleaning around her bottom. I'd hold her and Rick would take a warm washcloth and clean her up when she needed it. She was fine. I couldn't sit anywhere inside or outside the house without her wanting to be in my lap. I took her outside one afternoon and we flopped down in the hammock under one of the trees. I fell asleep....and so did she! She never got off my lap. I took her to my Public Speaking class. I took her on family picnics, even to our family reunions, to my parents' house to play with Ebony, their black cocker spaniel. She took everything in stride. She just knew that I loved her so much and would do anything I could to keep her safe. She was a very special little girl.

The rest of our cats, while trusting us, are not as trusting as Banshee was. They know we won't hurt them or do anything to hurt them, but if we need to do something to them, they watch us the whole time. They're all lap cats to a certain extent, but it's on their terms.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB kitty Chynna was a very social and trusting kitty. She loved everyone, even the vet.  She would hug necks and arms and give kisses to anyone who would pay attention to her.

Abby is very trusting of me.  She loves to be held and cuddled and needs to keep me within her sight.

Spence is very trusting of me, once I get my hands on him!  LOL   He used to love to be picked up and held when he was a kitten.  He still does, but he plays coy. He will come and sit just out of my reach, or so I can just touch his head with the tip of my finger and then flop down on his back and show me his belly while chirping at me.  If I can catch him, he will lay in my arms being cradled like a baby, for hours.

Katie is not a very trusting kitty. She doesn't mind being held on her terms.  She has to have complete freedom to leave when she wants to, meaning that I can't hug her. I have to have my arm in such a way that she is sitting on it and not restrained.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Autumn is just the opposite of your Cassie, you can't do a thing to her.  She loves sitting on my lap and being petted, she also loves having her tail slide between my hands which is something most cats don't like.  BUT....I cannot brush her or pick her up, I have to walk away after putting her food down or she won't eat, she doesn't trust me at all.  Definitely cannot clip her nails, she just won't let me do anything.  Autumn was always kind of shy and altho she trusts me more than before,  she still isn't totally comfortable with me at times.  That mistrust always seems to be there.  She is a sweet, loving kitty tho but I wish she would let me do more things for and to her.

I guess that's the Tortitude in her

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angel, Tony and Tippy trust us almost all of the time. Tony loves nothing better than rolling over for a long belly rub. angel on likes her belly rubbed for a few minutes, but then she has enough. Tippy trusts me almost all of the time -- she's still not too sure of Paul. Tippy loves to sit on my lap, but has never liked to be picked up off the ground. She'll jump on my lap on her terms. For the most part all 3 are pretty trusting of us.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They trust me most of the time.  They will come to me to be petted.  Patches knows his name and I can call him, Alice will come if I just look at her and of course if Patches is getting petted.  Neither one of them like to be picked up and held.  Patches will tolerate it, Alice squirms to get down.  They don't like their claws trimmed.  They don't actually bite but they do put their teeth on me as a warning.  Alice has longer hair and thick undercoat.  She needs regular brushing and it's hit or miss whether she will tolerate it.

colts2broncos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of mine, except one (Bo) trust me completely, but being Ragdolls that's their nature.  Bo had a rough life to start with and getting him as an adult it was tough to make him trust humans.  he is still skittish and sensitive on certain parts of his body, but I can pick him up and he sits on my lap, that took almost 9 months but now he lays belly up sleeping and doesn't hide around strangers, this may be as good as it gets, but I'll take it.