How Much Do You Know About Your Ancestry?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
You would be better off getting genetically tested through your doctor; that way the records are sealed under HIPPA.
Thanks for that info. Wow, an ancestor who helped write the Magna Carta! that is exciting.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My maternal grandmother's family were originally from Northern Ireland; living in farmland just outside of Dublin. We reckon they moved due to the religious tensions that have long been in the country, since they were Catholic in a largely Protestant neighbourhood, but I'd love to look into the actual story properly.
My maternal grandfather's family are mostly English but his grandmother had a French surname, so there might be some French heritage going back.
I'm not in touch with my father so I don't know where his family would have originally come from (now they live in London), though his surname suggests that his family were from the Sussex/East Midlands region originally - of course with added personal DNA mixed in.
I'd love to take a DNA test from Ancestry. My cousin took the test and found some really interesting results from her father's family.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like my family. They were Mennonites in a time and place where that was a possible death sentence.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took the one from Ancestry and I got it when it was on sale. I think Ancestry is the one that is tied to the Church of Latter Day Saints. The Latter Day Saints really really get into building family trees and researching back many generations. I don't understand the why of that but it is important to them. I think that is their payoff, they widen their database for their own genealogy research.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that Ancestry is a part of the Latter Day Saints. They have their own genealogy site and you can access it online. However, there are a lot of mistakes in it (I've found many in my own lines) and it's impossible to correct them or to add to them. In my case, I was unable to contact the poster.

The Mormons do this because they take all these ancestors and admit them to the church after death, thereby giving them entry to Heaven.

Ancestry, BTW, is a subscription site and costs about $200 per year. I posted my lines on RootsWeb, which is free and is now owned by Ancestry. I believe Ancestry incorporates many lines from RootsWeb into Ancestry because some of mine have been added.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
While online genealogy and family tree information is in many ways a blessing, it is also the source of a great deal of incorrect information. You have to be careful, do your own research by checking documents, like census records or birth/death records rather than simply assuming that someone else’s tree has the correct information in your ancestors. I have found many errors in posted family trees that gets accepted and posted to other family trees.